Saturday, October 06, 2007

Burn Out Is A Sad Thing

I don't know whether this is common for anyone else, but I might as well ask: When you read a book by an author you've never read before, do you find yourself going out and compulsively trying to get your hands on everything they've written up until then? I guess it wouldn't happen if you hated the first book, so I guess we're assuming you did enjoy the first book. It seems to happen to me all the time, with popular literature anyway. The classic stuff, not so much. I'm just obsessive that way, I suppose.

When I was in elementary school, it was those Goosebumps books. Hey, don't judge, everybody read them! My infatuation with them largely ran out in sixth grade, when we had to do a big book report, and lots of other students got to use Goosebumps books, but the teacher told me that it would be too easy for me (true), so I had to pick something more challenging (damnit). My father ended up choosing The Three Musketeers for me. I really need to read it again some day, when I'm not so pissed off that I have to read a hard book (meaning, actual literature), while all my classmates get to read easier fare.

Anyway, after that it was Michael Crichton, which is remarkable to me since the first book of his I read was Andromeda Strain, and I didn't understand 80% of that. I stuck with him for about a dozen books, some good (the Terminal Man), some not so much (The Great Train Robbery, which spent entirely too much time setting up the robbery, and not enough time actually robbing). I think I gave up when I realized the payoff, storywise, didn't match the investment I made in time slogging through technical jargon I didn't understand.

Then there was Clive Cussler and his Dirk Pitt books, which if Raise the Titanic is any indication (I read it again recently), don't hold so up well as I moved out of adolescence, and are not exactly chock full of good roles for women. I suppose that's not who Cussler was writing for, but still, kind of disappointing reading them now. Dirk's still the coolest cat on the block, though. I can't figure what possessed me to go on a Tom Clancy kick in 10th grade. Let's call it temporary insanity and move on.

There was Michael Connelly, Douglas Reeman, T. Jefferson Parker, Arthur C. Clarke. The one thing I remember with all of those authors was when I eventually read enough of their work I could see where they were going with the story pretty early. I'm really bad at solving mystery stories, so at the point I was able to figure out one of Connelly's stories within the first few chapters (I forget the title, but it was the one where Harry Bosch starts looking into his mother's death from his childhood), I knew I'd picked up his rhythm. Actually, I never figured out all of those guys. I have yet to suss out the truth of a T. Jefferson Parker book. He just brings shit out of left field, like "Her husband killed her because he found out she'd had another child when she was a teen, that she thought had been aborted, but actually hadn't been, and is slightly mentally retarded, but had shown up in town, and she was trying to reconnect with him, and her husband got mad, and there you are."

I am completely serious about that description too, all that happened in one book. What. The Hell. It might be more accurate to say, that in the case of these authors, I read enough of their works I got sick of them, which is kind of sad, and probably teaches us a valuable lesson about diversifying your reading material.

About the only two authors that I've consistently enjoyed for years, without feeling burnt out on them, are Stephen King and Issac Asimov. With King I started with the basics: Carrie, Dead Zone, It (ugh), while it was the Foundation series with Asimov, which is probably still my favorite sci-fi series, although in some ways, the science fiction elements seem mostly added on, around a story about choices and control. Which is probably why I enjoy it.

The odd thing is I seem to be able to read both for a long time, then stop for a few years, then read new stuff later, and not feel like I've seen it all before. With King I came back for the Dark Tower, with Asimov it was the Robots series (which helped the Foundation series make a little more sense). I don't know what that means though, or why it works that way.

Does this happen to any of you?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. Got a TON of P.G. Woodehouse books from the library over the summer. this year.

SallyP said...

Oh heaven's yes, I do that all the time. I never read Goosebumps, but I had every Nancy Drew book there was. Lately I've been on a Tony Hillerman kick.

Have you ever read Alistair Maclean? THAT'S good writin'!

And if Bret is reading P.G. Wodehouse, he has VERY good taste.

CalvinPitt said...

bret: I haven't read any of those, are they pretty good?

sallyp: Nancy Drew, eh? I was always more of a Hardy Boys man myself, back in the day anyway.

Darren said...

Kim Stanley Robinson.
Read the Mars trilogy and then dug up everything else I could find.

Tried the same thing with Orson Scott Card after 1st reading the Enders books, but was turned off by the Alvin Maker series so I've given up on him.

I agree with you on King and Asimov btw, I was left a little cold by Lisey's Story but I know that if I leave King on the shelf for a while, I can come back to him later afresh.

Anonymous said...

no, I tried that a few times but never had the patience to actually seek them out.
I would go into the store to look for them then I would see something else that look interesting and take that instead.

Anonymous said...

Calvin:
Yes.

LEN! said...

I started binging on authors with Stephen King, as a lot of people do. I've also sought out various works by Greg Rucka, Orson Scott Card, and Frank Herbert.

I think it is a common practice. Those of us who read want to enjoy what we're reading. Since I enjoyed book 1, I might just enjoy the other books as well...

joncormier said...

I'm a bit hooked on Christopher Moore right now. Just whacky and smart enough for me to buy pretty much anything he writes although it can be pretty hit or miss depending on one's mood. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend is pretty much the best American fiction in decades, Fluke is also good as is A Dirty Job while Island of the Sequined Love Nun and Practical Demonkeeping are both okay with fun moments. They're all incredibly well written, kind of like Tom Robbins with a harsh editor who hacks away at the run-on sentences.

Jasper Fforde is also another favourite at the moment. Although the third of the Friday Next books is not so great.

Anonymous said...

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is almost at 40 books, and they're still pretty good. The first three books weren't so great, but they got better once he started to get away from simple satire of fantasy genre cliches.

That said, the latest, 'Making Money', has almost embarassingly large print in the hardcover.