Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What I Bought 10/31/07

OK, this? Hilarious, to me anyway. I assume Kitna cleared this with Cullen first. And if not, well really, if you don't want people to make fun of you for going through the drive-thru while naked, here's an idea: DON'T GO THROUGH THE DRIVE-THRU NAKED!!!!!! That'd stop the whole thing before it starts. The annoying part was reading the comments in the Drew Sharpe article, where you see people demanding Kitna not only apologize to Cullen, and the city of Detroit, but also to the Christians that have supported him (since Kitna has been very open about his Christian faith, which interestingly, he discovered to keep his wife from leaving him after she caught him cheating on her back in his Seattle days.) Sigh. People are just too damn uptight these days, you know?

As you might have guessed, I started with that because I have no amusing comic-related intro, what with the grand total of one comic this week. So we should get started I suppose, with the usual spooky spoiler warnings.

Annihilation: Conquest - Quasar #4 - That's a nice cover, you know? It's got some energy, though it almost looks like Phyla's trying to drive us away. What's interesting is how when I look at the cover, I start at her face, drift to her sword, then up Moondragon's neck, to the head, and then back down to Phyla's other wrist band. It's like a big semicircle of focus. Well, we know who the "savior" is now, and for those who were hoping for Warlock (of New Mutants fame), or perhaps the Greatest of All SpaceKnights, you're bound to be disappointed. I wasn't rooting for any character, but I was not pleased to see this one.

Anyway, Phyla rallies her confidence and faces down the Super-Adaptoid, and takes a page from Roger Stern's Avengers to defeat her computerized foe. I think it was Stern's run, it was in the 270s. I find it odd the Phalanx can create a subroutine to counter fear, but not to overcome this particular weakness of the Adaptoid's design, but whatever. Near the end, the book dovetails nicely with Wraith from last week, which is good. Demonstrates communication between the various writers, which is always a plus.

Two quick things about Lilly's art this issue. One, the first panel of page 2, as Phyla kneels to pick up her sword, the look on her face is so defeated, it's almost painful, especially combined with the hood shielding her, and the rain. I can feel the despair. Two, Lilly really likes to have diagonal panels, especially during fight scenes. I've been noticing that throughout the mini-series. I'm not certain what it represents, because he's clearly cool with using more level panels, but every so often he just has a few consecutive pages with the panels tilted. Little disappointing as far as the big reveal goes, so only 3 out of 5.

No comments: