Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What I Bought 3/10/09 - Part 2

I have no introduction for tonight, so let's just get rolling.

Nova #22 - That's a nice cover, really makes risking your life to save potentially hostile aliens in the depths of space sound like a great time. Which means it fits what's actually happening inside. It seems apparent my hypothesis that Rich is dreaming/hallucinating/undergoing some test is a bust. Which is what I figured, but I really thought I was on to something. Oh well. I'm not clear on why holding the Nova Force in check drove the Worldmind nuts. Sure it held psychological dangers for Rich, but the Worldmind is a considerably higher intellect, so I'd think it could avoid the problem. I did not see that last page coming. Rather adds an air of desperation to Rich's actions now, I suppose.

I get the impression we won't be seeing Nova in War of Kings, rather plenty of Novas, which means plenty o' cannon fodder. Oh well, an event always needs faceless losers to be slaughtered alongside the occasional mid-level character. I thought Andrea DiVito wasn't taking over the art until next month, but I was wrong. Something's different about her art from what I recall in Annihilation. Fewer lines on the faces, and also thinner lines in general I think. Makes people look younger, including Rich. One thing that annoys me is people continue to not draw his scar. Did they just decide it was healed at some point, and nobody mentioned that? DiVito drew it during Annihilation, but not here. I liked the scar, it was a defining feature.

Patsy Walker: Hellcat #5 - I still can't shake the feeling that this whole story was supposed to teach Patsy something larger about herself, but if so, I cannot disern what it is. Ssangyong and her father reconcile, Ssangyong unwillingly embraces her power/destiny/heritage and returns to her mothers. Then she gets angry and tries to attack them with ravens, but Hellcat uses Ssangyong's Yeti boyfriend Pete to swallow/absorb the ravens, and beats up an octopus that was the hat for one of the shamans before it grew large and angry. Hellcat helps them make peace, and drives back to civilization, except now she can read Iron Man's thought over the phone.

This is one of those things where I'm nagged by this feeling that I understand the point, but I can't quite coalesce what I understand in any meaningful way. Which means I don't understand at all, I suppose. I'm sure it would help to reada it all at once, but not an option right now, so just have to make do. I'm a bit surprised about Patsy's lack of concern for some of her mystical assistants. Her focus on returning the kid is so single-minded it's a bit concerning. Perhaps a reflection of how she was used and tossed aside by Hellstrom? Still and all, I really enjoyed the mini-series. I love David LaFuente's art, and Jon Rauch's colors, and I kind of like being confused a little. Gives me something to think about during lulls at work.

Secret Six #6 - There's another prediction down the drain, as Batman is not the one who commissioned the Six to get the card. Deadshot's a bastard, and Jeanette's old, and weird. I am honestly surprised that Floyd cares about that card. The man has a freaking death wish, but he's worried about hell? Here's an idea: Don't shoot so many people in the goddamn head then you stupid putz!

Also, I still do not understand what makes Junior so dangerous. Yes, she's nuts. Yes, she had a horrible childhood. yes, she's severaly mutilated herself. I just can't see what's so terrifying about her that she would create such fear in people. Nausea? Sure, absolutely. Fear? I don't really get it. Her body looks like beef jerky that's been under the couch for three months, how does she have any strength whatsoever?

Secret Six #7 - Something about Catman's expression says "What? No Alfred, I didn't eat your strawberry pie! This red stuff Huntress is hastily wiping off my face? That's tomato sauce, yeah, that's it! We just had Italian for supper!" Big fight scene on Gotham Bridge! Everyone invited! Much death and fun to be had!

You know, I can't decide whether Deadshot is serious when he says he was trying to do the mission himself and save his teammates. I guess he wouldn't bother to come up with a lie like that to try and save himself, though. Fine, he's not a complete bastard then. Thing I don't understand. If Tarantula says she has the card when she attacks Junior, and all these people want the card, why did everyone fry them with assorted energy blasts? Especially since Junior was in the line of fire (I'm assuming there are at least a few of the villains stupid enough to believe if they return the card to Junior they'll get paid).

Hey, good news, somebody called Deadshot a poltroon! As you might recall from Annihilation: Silver Surfer #3, I love that insult. Sadly, I don't recognize the fellow that did it, and he died poorly a panel later, but don't worry, I'll raise a glass to ya.

War of Kings #1 - I received the Ron Lim variant, which is fine, since I liked it more than either of the other covers. So, Starjammers reach Kree space, prepare to attend wedding of Ronan and Crystal, Vulcan launches brutal attack on wedding, Inhumans and Kree get whupped, Lilandra captured by Sh'iar, Inhumans swear blood will be spilled.

It's not relevant to my situation, by I do like that Abnett and Lanning take the time to sort of explain things. This is why the Inhumans are running the Kree Empire, this is what's up with the Starjammers, here's Crazy Ass Vulcan and his plan, so on and so on. It might prove useful to anyone coming into the series blind.

Things I want to know: Who is the Sh'iar guy that crushes Ronan's hammer, and how was he able to do that? This is Ronan the Accuser, people, he can whomp Heralds of Galactus, and some little Sh'iar punk gets the better of him? Oh well, the last time I thought Ronan jobbed for someone, he smashed their fucking face in the rematch so, fingers crossed. Second thing, has it been a recent thing that Rachel Grey is sporting those "hound scars" all the time? I recall she used to have them sometimes when she used her powers, but it wasn't a constant thing, but everytime I saw her in the issue, there they were.

It's not bad for an opening chapter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mind you, this information is from about fifteen or more years ago, but Rachel has always had her hound scars, she simply hid them with her powers most times.

Why she's sporting them now, I have no idea (and I have no idea if the information I have given above was changed, but that was Claremont's argument back then).

Take it and run,

Seangreyson said...

I believe these days the hound scars only reappear when she's stressed/pissed off.

They began reappearing after the Shi'ar Death Commandos marked her for death, so it might be related to that.

CalvinPitt said...

earl allison: I didn't realize she hid them. Thanks for the info.

seangreyson: Yeah, I suppose being constantly hunted by the Shi'ar Empire could be pretty stressful.