Friday, October 30, 2015

Looking To The Next Year

October is almost over, so what better time to look at January solicits? 2015 has not been what I'd call the best year for me on the comics front, so perhaps I can receive a boost to my hopes for next year.

*glances over January solicits* Or maybe not. There's nothing from DC I can say with any certainty I'm going to buy. It's like 2007 all over again. There's that mini-series with stories for both Deadshot and Katana, but what are the odds Deadshot's going to be much like the version I actually care about? And the only time I've been particularly interested in Katana was her brief ongoing written by Ann Nocenti, and I kind of doubt there will be much similarity to that, considering it sold horribly. It isn't that there aren't books DC's publishing that are good, but none of them seem to hit the sweet spot for me. Oh well, wait 5 minutes and they'll change direction entirely.

Elsewhere, Atomic Robo and the Ring of Fire concludes, and that Rocketeer mini I might buy enters its second issue. There's also a collection of something called Onyx, about a warrior coming to Earth for uncertain reasons, and the team that has to figure out what's going on and whether to assist or fight said warrior. I guess I missed it entirely when it was coming out as single issues, but it sounds kind of cool, and Gabriel Rodriguez drew Locke & Key, so I can feel confident I'll like how it looks.

At Image, Descender continues, though it's up in the air whether I'll be along for the ride, but Copperhead hasn't started back up yet, and the third and final Roche Limit mini-series doesn't start until February. So I have a little more time to decide whether I'll see that through to the end.

Who am I kidding? I'm only rarely smart enough to bail out mid-stream when I ought to, because I always end up hoping it'll get better. Reading the entirety of Chuck Austen's Uncanny X-Men run as it came out taught me less than I'd like.

Speaking of Marvel, the main new point of interest is the Rocket Raccoon and Groot series, written by Skottie Young and drawn by. . . Filipe Andrade. Hmm. Andrade did OK with the story he did for Rocket Raccoon, but it was a grim story, with not too many different characters to have to draw. If Young tilts the tone of the book to fit Andrade's style, this could wind up being something I don't love. The solicit says Rocket's going to be the new top criminal mastermind for unspecified reasons, though, so perhaps that's implied. Hopefully that's an act by Rocket, because I kind of hoped Young moved past that with his first arc last time around.

On another track, I finally figured out why they've been double-shipping Deadpool. It's so they can have a complete trade ready to release in February when the new movie comes out, right? Which is still a little silly, considering there are 15 volumes to Deadpool Classic, not to mention how many other collections are out there (the earlier Cable/Deadpool trades, the ones for the recently concluded Posehn/Duggan/Hawthorne/Koblish run, etc.), but at least there's a reasoning behind it. Assuming I'm correct. If they keep double-shipping the book in February and beyond, disregard this.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

Yep, it's pretty bleak at DC. At least there is a Green Lantern Corps again. Otherwise... the pickings are fairly slim. Marvel at least has some books I would actually like to read, and Saga is back.