Thursday, October 22, 2015

Pleasant Surprises On the Marvel Heroclix Side of the Board

As usual, there were more Marvel Heroclix sets released in the last year than DC, though the disparity wasn't as great as in past years. there was an Avengers: Age of Ultron set, Avengers Assemble, Age of Ultron Storyline Organized Play, and Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD. The first Ultron set was based on the movie, the second is. . . I'm not sure. Some of it is from that Avengers A.I. series that came out after the Age of Ultron comic storyline. But a lot of the characters in it are '70s versions. Like yellow shirt and tiara Luke Cage, or Carol Danvers in her original Ms. Marvel outfit (with the exposed midriff). I guess these characters were important to the comic event? I don't know, I avoided Age of Ultron like it was a rotting, plague infested corpse. As for the Nick fury set, it's partially the classic SHIELD characters, and partially the ones from the current TV show.

Before we advance further, let's see what I was hoping to get this year, in no particular order:

Rage, Silhouette, Stacy X, Triathlon, and SHIELD Agent Derek Khanata.

And we got. . .  Rage and Triathlon! Whoo, thank you Avengers Assemble set!

Seriously, that set was pretty great. We got a new Hellcat for the first time in over a decade, a new Justice and Night Thrasher for the first time in almost as long. they gave us a bunch of the Avengers Academy/Arena/Undercover kids. Though not Finesse or Striker, but we did get Cammi. I don't know precisely what team I'd put her with, but at least she got made so I have the decision to make. They gave us Firebird, D-Man, Living Lightning, Silverclaw, Sersi, Red Wolf. Gilgamesh, the Forgotten One, from that weird lineup Simonson cobbled together around issue 300, got himself a figure.

Oh, and a bunch of characters from Hickman's Avengers run, if you're into that sort of thing. I'm not, so I'm much more excited about the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel Heroclix. It's a super-rare, which means it isn't necessarily easy to pull, but at least they made one.

So that set alone pretty much compensated for the rest of the sets basically being duds. The Nick Fury set has a Jimmy Woo figure, but I already have one of those. I really wanted Khanata for my Agents of Atlas team, but at least I have Triathlon/3-D Man. Going forward, I can't see any of the remaining characters getting made, but then again, I wouldn't have expected Rage to pop up this year, either. And someone on HCRealms at least did a thread about how Stacy X hasn't gotten a figure, and what her dial could look like. Maybe someone will get some ideas. Of course, the X-Men aren't currently in favor at Marvel, so I probably ought to expect a lot fewer mutants and a lot more X-Men soon. Sigh.

No comments: