Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Things May Get Interesting In Late Summer

The August solicits had a few more interesting developments than the previous few months.  Not so much at Marvel, where the most notable things were that Patsy Walker, aka Hellcat is done with its one month of Civil War II tie-ins, and that Deadpool is not going to double-ship (but will still be doing Civil War II tie-ins). There is one other thing, but we'll come back to it at the bottom.

But DC has their Rebirth issue for the new Blue Beetle series, by Keith Giffen and Scott Kolins, plus there's a Suicide Squad one-shot written by John Ostrander. I don't know if this will be with a classic Squad line-up, the movie roster, or the current comic roster, but it's Ostrander, so I will, of course, be purchasing it.

Outside of those two, it appears Wynonna Earp has become an ongoing. It was originally listed as six issues, but here's issue 7, with Earp and Valdez going on a road trip. Works for me. Even better, Atomic Robo and the Temple of Ood #1 comes out in August. New Atomic Robo (in print anyway) is always good news. Also, there's a company called Joe Books which has recently started releasing Darkwing Duck comics. I had figured they were reprints of the previous series from Boom! Studios, but learned last week they're actually sort of a continuation of that series. They ignored the Ducktales crossover that series ended with, which I was indifferent to, since it felt rushed, but I'll be looking more into that soon.

There are two other things I wanted to mention, although they both come out in October, not August. One is that Squirrel Girl Beats up the Marvel Universe OGN North and Henderson are doing. I admit to some trepidation, because the title is (deliberately) reminiscent of The Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe, which is a thing I'd rather just forget exists. I know North and Henderson aren't remotely Garth Ennis, but still a little wary.

The other significant October release is Bandette volume 3. Both of the first two Bandette volumes were my favorite trades of the year when I got them, so Volume 3 has some big expectations to live up to. Will it? Come back in October to find out!

No comments: