Monday, July 25, 2016

It's Too Hot To Get Too Excited For October

October is a quiet month for solicits in some sectors. As far as things I'm interested in, there's no sign of Wynonna Earp, so I don't know if that's a skip month, or it's an 8-issue mini-series that's ending. Henchgirl is also absent, I'm pretty sure that's a skip month.

DC is past all the Rebirth stuff, so now we see how long they run with this before they start retooling things again. I'm sort of interested in that Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love mini-series. Could be cool. Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye seems like it's trying to too hard. Isn't that going to be a total mess on the cover?

Then there's Marvel, which has not actually posted its solicitations anywhere I can find {Edit: I typed this yesterday, and the solicits appeared today. Figures}. Seems like it happens every year around the San Diego Comic-Con. Which is too bad, since they're releasing several new first issues that month. Sure would be nice to have a little more to go on. I'm at least curious about Prowler, and certainly I'll give Great Lakes Avengers a look. I really want to point at laugh at Marvel for believing they're going to have success with solo books for, well, Solo, but I just admitted I'd consider buying a book about the Prowler a sentence earlier. I'm not in any position to talk. {Edit: OK, never mind. The Prowler solicit mentioned the Jackal. That's a definite "No." Sorry Hobie.} There's a Luke Cage mini-series by Samurai Jack creator Genndy Tartakovsky (how did I spell that right on the first try?) that's been in the works for almost a decade.

Deadpool has two issues of his ongoing - including another $10 issue which I will hopefully show some damn patience when it comes to buying - plus two mini-series, plus his team-up book with Spidey, plus the Mercs for Money ongoing. At some point this is going to fail for Marvel, right? They went crazy with Deadpool back in 2009 and 2010 with multiple ongoings, and eventually sales crashed, which paved the way for the Posehn/Duggan writing team, and now it's bloated out all over again. I know, this didn't just start this month, it's been going on for a couple of years, I just keep expecting it will end at some point.

Outside that, none of the books I was already buying are ending, which is good. Civil War II is ending, which seems like it should happen in November, so we can be thankful it's over. I guess this way we can be scared of the next big event.

No comments: