Saturday, September 16, 2006

TV Time!

Well, the trip through the wetlands went better than I'd expected, primarily because we didn't actually walk through any wetlands (been kind of a dry summer, I guess). The highpoint was the drive back through East Prairie, which is - how can I put this nicely? - not economically prosperous. Some kid on a three-wheeled bike (it had a pickup truck style bed in the back) pulling out into the road right in front of the class van - leading to a sharp hitting of the brakes -, without so much as a sideways glance, then as he went by the passenger windows, giving us a sharp nod, as if too say "That's right, you damn well better stop!" After we all stopped laughing, I advocated running him down, because sometimes, Nature just hangs a big neon sign that says "Natural Selection Vicitim!" on people.

Anyway, I do actually have some comics related posts, but last night turned out to be an interesting night of TV watching, and so I just wanted to share some thoughts. There might be a spoiler or two, depending on whether you've seen the show in question.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (TNT) - I've always liked this part much better than Vol. 2, mostly because there's much more action, and much less yakking (aka plot). That probably reflects poorly on me, but I'm not watching Tarantino movies for dialogue, just like I'm not reading The Punisher for the romance.

When I saw the commercial advertising that TNT would be showing this, I was curious to see how much they could get away with. As expected, foul language was often edited. More interesting was the scene in the nightclub. Apparently it's OK to show Uma Thurman slice a woman's arm off, but not OK to show the blood that geysers from the stump. Because Heaven forbid that any children watching it (and you know there were underaged kids watching, with or without parental supervision) realize that yes, cutting someone's arm off would cause great pain and damage to them.

The ensuing fight with GoGo and the Crazy 88s was kind of missed, because I spent the whole time considering how the various characters of Rurouni Kenshin would handle it, because I've been watching way too many fan-created anime music videos based on that series.

Teen Titans: Titans in Tokyo (Cartoon Network) - Definitely beware of the spoilers here. I had a good time with this, though I was a little disappointed the main villain wasn't Control Freak. As an even bigger geek than Beast Boy, I could totally have seen him sending manga characters to attack the Titans.

I'm very pleased to see that Robin isn't completely emotionally crippled. Though I'm left wondering if he could sing as well for Starfire as JLU Batman did for Wonder Woman.

Funny thing. Until I read Uncanny X-Men meet the Teen Titans, I never realized Starfire could learn a language by lip-locking with someone. Which had cleared up my confusion about her abrupt learning of English in an earlier episode.

I think Wolfman probably went too far into the "spooky fanboy" territory with that power. Although maybe a different costume would help. I know, I said I'd do that, but I still haven't found a pattern I like. Give me time.

I'm still trying to figure out why Commander Daizo jumped into the cursed printing press (no, seriously). He was absolutely right when he told Robin that it came down to the Titans word against his, and seeing as Robin was wanted for murder and resisting arrest, and Daizo is a hero in Japan, Daizo was holding all the cards. Then Robin tells him he isn't a hero, and he decides becoming a giant ink monster is the proper response? Yeah, yeah, I'm thinking too much about a show for people younger than me. The fact I'm at home watching TV Friday night should amply demonstrate that I have too much free time, and no proper way to utilize it.

House (USA) - So it looks like USA is going to show the House episode from the week before on Friday nights. Which is great because I'm busy when it comes on (at least until it moves back to 8 Central after the World Series). So I got to see the season premiere.

Of course it would have helped to see the previous season finale, as the sight of a jogging House surprised me. I knew he could run, but I thought the events that allowed it happened in the season premiere. Oops.

Other than that, it was standard House fare. House acts like a jerk, Cameron is concerned about House and families' suffering, Cuddy is annoyed by House's craziness, Wilson is spouting a lot of New Agey sounding philosophy about life's meaning, Chase is a complete wuss. And House is right, which is why the show worked so well on USA after Monk and Psych. Three guys, all erratic, all three always right. I still miss Touching Evil, though.

And my quest to earn 1 million pesetas on Resident Evil 4, thus allowing me to purchase an Infinite Rocket Launcher, continues. Honestly, I could already afford it, I just have to be willing to sell some of my fully-upgraded weapons, and I just can't seem to let them go.

Tomorrow, I plan on analyzing a Tony Stark quote from the week, and I will try to be nice to him, because he wasn't a jerk, just not real wise.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to the Teen Titans movie. Nice to see how being mentord by Batman will mess you up, every time and I had the villain figured out pretty quick. But, again, it's a kid show, so putting your hands in the air and going 'Whee!' is more than enough to explain most plot holes. =)
But what was up with the kareoke theme song?

CalvinPitt said...

carla: Agreed, and there was plenty that had me going "Whee!"

Theme song? I couldn't say. It was definitely weird.

Anonymous said...

The infinite rocket laucher is such a waste. Just get the Chicago Typewriter, it absolutely ROCKS!!!!

CalvinPitt said...

chris: Eh, the Infinite launcher's working OK for me so far.

And I have to beat the Ada's Assignment to be able to by the Chicago Typewriter, right?

That's a work in progress for me. Only without the actual progress.

thekelvingreen said...

Teen Titans Movie? No way! And here I am, 4000 miles from the nearest Cartoon Network...

Anonymous said...

Haha, there are alot of people who deserve to fall victim to natural selection in East Prairie. Unfortunately, public money continues to sustain their uneducated lifestyles, and they continue to procreate and exist....