Friday, November 10, 2006

What I Bought 11/10/06

Doctor Strange: The Oath #2 - I enjoyed this book. I like that Strange admits how much of jerk he was in the old, pre-mystic arts days, while still retaining a bit of that. Case in point: when Wong describes Baron Mordo as Strange's 'Opposite and equal', leading Strange to reply 'Well, opposite anyway.' Nice burn.

Everybody gets to a do a little something, whether Wong is helping to bust security droid heads, or Night Nurse demonstrates a bit of lockpicking precision, and the best part is, it doesn't require the other characters coming off like chumps in the process.

I'm intrigued by Brigand. Is he a new character, or has he been around before? Either way, he's a clever, practical sort of wiseass, and I wonder if Vaughn isn't tweaking Quesada a little bit when he had Brigand say 'I hate magic. There are never any rules, and that means there's nothing for me to break.' No, I'd imagine you wouldn't like that, it makes it so much harder to blow up 600 schoolchildren and the New Warriors to kick start your big, stupid crossover event!

And meanwhile, you've got that mysterious business man calling in some people called Overlords. That's never a good sign. 4.3 out of 5.

2 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I loved that comment by Brigand. Plus, there's always that special moment where Stephen includes a cuss word in one of his more familiar oaths!

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: Yeah, the creative inclusion of profanity was a nice touch.