Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What I Bought 11/15/06

Continuing my "feast or famine" pattern, this week was... famine. Bugger. Two books, so let's just get to it. Spoilers, yadda, blah.

Cable/Deadpool #34 - I think Cable is competing with Black Panther for "Most unbeatable hero at Marvel", which makes me think the people of their universe would be best served if both of them got their lazy asses' into space and helped fight Annihilus. I'd loved to see what cockamanie strategy T'Challa has for that. Hmm, I've digressed.

So, Domino still has doubts about what Six Pack is doing, and she's quite open about expressing them. But, Cable's already shot, so it's a little late for that. Deadpool actually feels kind of bad about it, so they leave Nate lying on the street, rather than in the sewers. At which point we get to see how the people of Rumekistan feel about Cable. As you might have guessed, Cable doesn't stay down, and soon undoes the damage, and deals with the Six Pack.

And at the end, we're left with romance and regrets. Or rather, romance and one person insisting they have no regrets. It's not a bad issue, but this continuing "Cable knows all" stuff is a little tiring. It vaguely reminds me of my dad's Silver Age Superman comics, which isn't a good thing. 3.2 out of 5. And I have to just mention this, but when Deadpool smiles with the mask on, the shading makes it look like he has a mustache.

Ms. Marvel #9 - Nope, she's still hasn't earned her "Warbird" title back yet. Getting closer. or she would be, if I could figure out what the hell is going on. Simply put, there's two Carol Danvers, one that's made her peace with Rogue, and one that hasn't. The one that hadn't had attacked Rogue earlier - and lost -, and Rogue used her keys to get into Carol's apartment. Angry Carol wakes up, fight starts again, with Ms. Marvel helping Rogue with Angry Carol.

They call in the Beast for a little tech support, we find out why Angry Carol is here, Ms. Marvel gives her a piece of her mind, and off we go again. And at the end, well, I don't know. All in all, it was kind of weird, but the Mike Wieringo art was very lovely, especially that cover, and I imagine Brian Reed's got something big planned, especially with whatever it was Hank noticed when he scanned Not Angry Carol (man I hate duplicate stories), but right now, I'm just not sure where this is going. 2.8 out of 5.

3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Sadly, it was a feast for me. Hard to cut back on weekly comics purchases when nearly every title you buy comes out the same day.

I'm always up for an evil twin story, so I thought Ms. Marvel was fun. One way to make your title character sympathetic again is to create an even nastier version of her.

Actually, I think this ties in with Reed's overall theme of Carol trying to overcome her past and build a new future for herself.

I read in a CBR interview that Marvel decreed Carol would be pro-Registration, and that it was up to Reed to make it work even though he felt it was contrary to her character.

So, with that over with, maybe this book can once again go back to being a pretty fun, straight-forward super-hero book.

Hope so.

SallyP said...

Well, I couldn't follow the plot of Ms Marvel either, but at least she doesn't permanently warp the childhood of any little girls this month.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress: Yeah, she certainly looks better, and maybe next month the continuing conflict between the Carol's will help her realize a few things about being pro-reg.

Based on that interview you mentioned probably not, but maybe she'll decide there are better ways to go about it.

sallyp: Very true. No little girls were traumatized in the making of this issue.