Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What I Bought 11/1/06

Well, alrighty! Let's see how many comics I had this week! Johnny, put the number up on the Big Board!!

...

Johnny? Where's the Big Board?

What do you mean I didn't have any new comics this week? What do you mean my pull list gave me nothing?

What do you mean there's still longboxes filled with older comics downstairs?

Congrats, Johnny. Your job is safe.

And so, it came to pass, that on the first day of the eleventh month of the sixth year after the second millenium - on the A.D. side of things -, CalvinPitt did purchase $9.75 worth of comics. Which would normally have availed me of only three comics. But on this special, special day, I left with thirty-nine comics. And I'm certain to be diving back in on Friday. But that's two days hence, let's deal with the now. What was purchased?

I'm not actually going to grade these, seeing as I've only read through one so far.

- The Mighty Thor #356, also known as "Hercules Shoving Thor off the cover".

- The Avengers #17 and #51, from the pre-New Avengers series. Remember those days? When Avengers was good, and fun? Sigh, good times. #51 in particular I wanted, because it was the one issue of that massive war with Kang that I was missing.

- Fantastic Four #374, or "Short, Hairy Mutant Slices Ben Grimm's face".

- JSA #64, "Power Girl pulls Sand out of the Earth" Nod to Kalinara for this one.

- Amazing-Spider #350, "Or Dr. Doom hands Spidey a Whuppin'". I actually already own a copy of this, but some foolish child chopped up some of the pages, for some reason I've since forgotten. Or repressed, I forgot/repressed that too.

- Iron Man #200. Notable for "Nuclear-Powered Underpants" and "Obadiah Stane Threatens a Baby". All credit to knowing to pick this up goes to Chris Sims.

- Iron Man #225-232. Oddly not called "Armor Wars" inside the comics. Rather, they're titled "Stark Wars". I did not know that.

-Cable/Deadpool #8, #12-23. I need a reason to buy Cable/Deadpool issues for 25 cents a pop? The tip of the cap goes to two people here, as both Len and Mallet have been preaching the gospel on this title.

- New Warriors #7-9, #18, #21-22. Because now I have almost all of the first 25 issues, which are just loaded with Nicieza/Bagley goodness.

- West Coast Avengers #1-5. For the hell of it. I kinda like Tigra. And Hawkeye. And Mockingbird. And it's got Red and Silver Iron Man. Of course, it also has Wonder Man, but Hank Pym seems moderately sane, so those should offset.

I have no idea what I'll be interested in on Friday. Most of The Ray series is there, and I lack the second half, but the covers showing Ray's similary-powered little brother produce great unease in me. I saw plenty o' Deadpools and Agent X, and there were considerable numbers of Simonson's Thor and Fantastic Four stuff. If you think I'm freaking out, imagine what Adorable Baby Panda is going to think upon seeing this stack.

4 comments:

googum said...

I just screamed into my hat: I've been trying to find my copy of Thor #356 for who knows how long. Still, congratulations on the haul!

SallyP said...

Aaaaahhhh...nothing like the smell of decaying newsprint in the morning. And the joy of peeling back the tape on the plastic bags that enclose all that four-color goodness. Have some fun.

Seth T. Hahne said...

Huh. I'm trying to remember if that issue of Thor was any good. As I recall, it was a fill-in issue a few issues after "Ragnarok and Roll" (gotta love Simonson) and I don't think I really gave it much of a chance because at the time, I was thirsty for more of the "real" story.

That does, however, remind me of an interesting New Mutants issue in which the group is mocking Magma's deity of choice (Hercules) and so she in desperation tries to discover if he is a buffoon or not and validate her faith. Things start off rock, but by the end her faith in the moron is restored. Yay!

CalvinPitt said...

googum: Thanks! Yes, that story is pretty good, especially Jarvis' reaction to Herc's story.

sallyp: Quite true on the scent, though Iron Man #200 smells of gun oil, which I can't quite understand.

the dane: Total fill-in issue. it's goofy and mostly pointless, but it captures Hercules' nature pretty well.

And it actually runs along a similar path to that New Mutants issue, as it involves a boy being ridiculed for idolizing Thor, and Hercules being the one who can boost or break his hero worship.