Monday, January 15, 2007

How Much Does Intent Count For?

I've had this one on a backburner for awhile, so let's see how it goes. This arose from Cable/Deadpool #35 and Ms. Marvel #10, and it deals with a connection between the Rogue/Carol Danvers relationship and the Cable/Deadpool situation.

Carol made it pretty clear that she isn't over what Rogue did to her, however many years ago Marvel says it was. Rogue absorbed not only Carol's powers (though Rogue seemed stronger and more resistant to injury than Carol and lacked the energy powers. Weird), but her memories, and the emotions that went with them. Even after Xavier helped restore Carol's memories, she had no connection to them. Rogue effectively took away Carol's life up to that point. She did it because she heard Mystique and Destiny talking about how Carol would one day seriously harm Rogue, and so Rogue decided on a preemptive strike.

Then you've got Cable. He links Wade's subconscious to the infonet, in effect torturing Wade with visual and auditory imagery of the people he's killed. His reasoning was it would force Wade to examine his life, and eventually come running to Nate for help in reevaluating his life. In terms of psychological damage it doesn't even begin to compare with what Rogue did to Carol. On the other hand, Cable can't claim that he did it out of self-defense. He did it because he decided that Deadpool needed to examine his life, and that was that. It's kind of a dick move, you know?

I think my original intent was to ask which person you think did a worse thing, or made a greater transgression, Rogue or Cable, but I don't think that's much of a question. I suppose, I just found it interesting that these two situations of someone messing with another person's mind popped up in the same week.

4 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I'll go for Cable, because although Rogue was trying to kill Ms. Marvel the memory/power absorption was unintentional.

Plus, as was made abundantly clear in that Ms. Marvel team-up, Rogue carries a heck of a lot of guilt to this day.

(Although I don't necessarily blame Carol for holding a grudge... )

No matter what he says, Cable is trying to control Deadpool - pure and simple.

So, I guess intent plays a large role here. (Plus, um, I like Rogue a lot more than Cable ... )

LEN! said...

I think that Rogue committed a greater transgression, not because I like Cable more or anything. No, I think Rogue is more in the wrong because she was going for the kill. Cable is, in his own twisted messianic way, trying to help Deadpool.

Doesn't mean either one isn't a dick move.

Diamondrock said...

Wow, okay. I can actually get in on one of these discussions. Because I've actually *read* Cable/Deadpool #35.

The problem is I know nothing about the other situation. On its face, it sounds a hell of a lot worse. So I'll say that whatever that Warbird person had done to her by Anna Paquin was probably worse than what Cable did to Deadpool.

On the other hand, Cable's an ass and I hate the fact that I'm going to have to continue dealing with him in order to get a monthly dose of Deadpool.

I hate that preachy m***erf***ker.

SallyP said...

Let's also keep in mind that at th time, Rogue was a mere teenager, and not exactly playing with a full deck at the time.

Cable on the other hand, is a grown man with years of experience. He's just a pain in the butt.