Saturday, January 20, 2007

Not That Old Trick Again

So, did Xavier's "death" in Ultimate X-Men this week remind anyone else of Reed Richards "death" in Fantastic Four back in the '90s?

The desperate villain, the hero making it so easy (Reed because he took Doom's hand, Xavier giving Cable the target he wanted), boom, apparent death?

I suppose it's Kirkman being polite. If someone else down the line really wants to use Charles Xavier they've got a ready made trapdoor built in. Cable clearly seems to have teleported away (if Wolverine's to be believed), and all we've got is a skeleton, which for all we know Cable could have brought with him from the future (from when Xavier dies decades from now).

I will say, I'm curious to see how these X-Men, mostly teenagers, react to his death, so I'm hoping Xavier stays dead for awhile. Of course, I was genuinely surprised and interested when they offed the Beast, but I think I just saw a cover solicitation with him on it, so it looks like the Ultimateverse is starting to have the dead rise. Must be the work of those Fantastic Four zombies.

4 comments:

SallyP said...

I have to admit, that I didn't even CARE that Xavier is "dead". My first reaction was basically, Oh yeah, right!

They've been killing Xavier for years, and/or depowering him, and he always seems to bounce back.

I've been reading Ultimate X-Men since the beginning, but I have to admit that the whole Cable plotline left me cold.

Derek said...

Beast is coming back?

You're joking, right?!

THAT'S NOT FUNNY!

*cough* Sorry. I bought the Ultimate X-Men CD a little while ago, but I've been sloughing my way through it because I already knew about Hank's death.

If there's even the slightest chance my favourite blue fuzz ball is coming back, I'm going to have to keep reading.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: I gotta admit. I wasn't really surprised, though I had been hoping it was gonna be Cyclops who kicked it.

The Cable story, for me, had its moments, but somehow it didn't add up.

derek: I was looking at Comics Should Be Good's April cover solicitations for Marvel and he's on the cover.

He's not blue anymore though, so it might be a flashback. If so, sorry for getting your hopes up.

CalvinPitt said...

carla: That's a good point. He's a real underhanded guy isn't he?