Monday, January 22, 2007

Yellow, Yes Or No?

Simple post for today, consisting of two questions:

First, when did Batman drop the bat in a yellow oval symbol, and go back to the black bat on gray shirt look he currently sports? I'm thinking during "No Man's Land", but I haven't read a lot of Batman stuff, so I'm just guessing.

Second, which do you like better, the yellow circle or the current (and original, sort of) symbol? The current one looks nice, but I always liked those pages where they'd show Batman towering over someone (or leaping towards them), the cape causing shadows that obscure all of his body except for that bat symbol, standing in stark contrast to the yellow oval encircling it.

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

Tom Bondurant said...

The yellow oval was retired right after "No Man's Land." The whole Batman stylebook was revamped for the post-NML issues, and the oval was out.

I personally like the oval, and wish it would come back, but I can see the appeal for ditching it. It might be hard to draw consistently, and it's just one more thing to color. Also, it makes Batman look more like a superhero and less like a guy who sewed up a scary costume (or modified his prototype body armor).

Anyway, I say keep the oval. It was good enough for the first seasons of the Animated Series; it's good enough for the modern comics.

Marc Burkhardt said...

It was No Man's Land.

I like the yellow symbol myself, mostly for the reason you write.

I also took it as an evolution in Batman's character from lone creature of the night to somewhat of a father figure with Robin and Batgirl, but that probably doesn't fly with modern fans and creators.

Fitz said...

I think you gotta go with that Neal Adams gray, blue, and yellow costume for "comic book batman"

The black kevlar war suit from Batman Begins is the way to go with "Movie Batman"

Tom Bondurant said...

It was Frank Miller, from the first issue of Dark Knight. Something like "my head's not armored -- why do you think I wear a target on my chest?"

CalvinPitt said...

tom: That's a good point about the "Looking less like a superhero". And thanks for the info about Frank Miller.

fortress: I kind of think Dini and Morrison are trying to revie the Bat as a father figure (by making him less of a jerk), so maybe a symbol revival?

fitz: I agree. The movie suit was pretty awesome.

carla: i remember that too. Good thing tom knew who said it, or it'd be driving me nuts.