Sunday, January 20, 2008

So Many Choices

So, if you've been reading Annihilation: Conquest (or talking to someone who has), you know that Moondragon tried to protect Quasar from Ultron and got punched in the heart for her trouble (see issue #2). Then partway through #3, Moondragon's body dissolved into mist as she said her tearful farewells to Phyla. Even as jaded as I am towards death in the superhero comic world, I found it at least a bit touching. 

Still, this is at least the second death for Heather, and so I imagine she'll bounce back at some point, leading to a happy reunion with her beloved. The question, as those of you accustomed to the trains of thought I purchase tickets for around here, is in what form? 

Though I imagine it's possible for her astral form to escape the portion of space the Phalanx have walled off, I think she would try to stay there, so if she could find a suitable replacement, she would be better able to help Phyla. First possibility: One of the High Evolutionary's "Nu-Kree". I'm not sure how many are left since he had the star near his floating lab explode, but the H.E. is a fairly intelligent individual; it's reasonable to expect he has more of them stashed somewhere, or has other facilities that could be used to make more. They don't seem to have much in the way of minds; they mostly stand around unless the H.E. is nearby, then they crowd around him and do as he commands. She could take one of those bodies fairly easily. 

Or, H.E. also said the Nu-Kree were his early attempts, and that he had finished the work he was there to do, so maybe Heather can snag one of those perfect expressions of Kree genetics he made. Second possibility: Heather projects her mind into an empty Phalanx husk. Ultron had the Phalanx create a new body for him, and then downloaded himself back into it. If she could find a similar form that had no mind yet, maybe she could hop in and take over.

4 comments:

SallyP said...

Yeah, I can't really see Moondragon being permanently dead...she's a pretty tough cookie, all things considered. So I'm sure she'll be back somehow.

Let's all hope that Mephisto is NOT involved.

Jason said...

OK, my HTML skillz suck, anyway, cut n' paste this link and check it out. Warning there may be some Conquest spoilers, but if the team fetured is the one in the art at the top, I'm very happy:

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.2281

Jason said...

One thing about your idea here is what happens if Heather plants her mind into a male Nu-Kree? If they go that route, do you think Marvel would like that so they could side-step some of the possibly-contrversial sexual politics of their relationship?

It was a very good moment inthe book, but I in no way think Heather is dead.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Yes, I think we need a moratorium on Mephisto appearances for awhile. Fortunately, I don't Phyla would be dumb enough to try something like that to get Moondragon back.

jason: That could be an interesting book, and ideally, they could have a rotating roster, with characters joining or leaving as the situation arises. There's all sorts of characters out there looking for a little love.

As to Heather in a male body, I could see Marvel doing that, and maybe they could deal with "being a woman in a man's body" issues, but I would hope they wouldn't. Phyla/Heather has been handled pretty well so far I thought, as far as positive portrayals of relationships go, it would feel like a cop out to me.