Sunday, April 27, 2008

You Can Never Find What You Want At These Things

Sorry about the lack of post yesterday. Family business drew me away from home before dawn. The real downside was I missed the first day of the Cape Comic Con. I talked to Ken and he seemed pleased with the crowd. Unfortunately there was some sort of miscommunication as to the rules for Saturday's Heroclix tournament, and that left some people a bit miffed. Hopefully they came back on Sunday and had some fun. I was there today for about three hours, and I had a pretty good time. It was pretty quiet early, but Cape usually is on Sunday mornings (I think everyone is either asleep or in church). By the time I left in the early afternoon, it was picking up, which is encouraging. I didn't take any pictures though, so no pictures of casual Stormtroopers. I was too busy making up for lost back issue searching time to bother with photography. I even went to the trouble of making a list of titles and relevant issues I was searching for.

Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be much of what I really wanted, as my search for later GrimJack issues was almost entirely unsuccessful. Did get ahold of #75, but I'm not entirely sure what's happening. A fifteen issue gap in your collection will do that for you. Where are those other damn trades IDW? Look, I'm sorry I didn't buy the earlier ones, but I already have those issues. But if you get the trades going again, I'll buy them, I don't have the issues that were coming up next. Anyway, the party in the past was pretty funny. Did I say funny? I meant creepy.

Plus I filled in some of the gaps in my Spider-Girl collection. That introduced me to perhaps the oddest sound effect ever, *gitz pittle*. To prevent any dirty suggestions, I'll tell you it's the sound of stifled laughter. And I got some of that Simonson FF run, the part with Galactus devouring the entire universe in the future and the Dreaming Celestial. I have to admit, I can't follow most of the science speak Reed's spouting off about (Existentialators?). It is nice to see Reed apparently getting real emotional about losing Sue and threatening a Celestial though. He needs to lose his temper a bit more often.

Against the comments of just about anyone I've ever seen review it online, I picked up the Engelhart/Breyfogle Hellcat mini-series. The idea of Son of Satan being the son of Satannish, who's a minion/child of Dormammu uh, confused me mostly. Seems needlessly convoluted mostly. But those Breyfogle fights were very pretty, though he really likes white backgrounds during them. That seemed a bit odd.

I picked up a Spider-Woman issue, the one with this nifty cover over here, and I'm surprised to learn Morganna Le Fey is one of Jessica Drew's foes. Is this the same sorceress Dr. Doom is always trying to make deals with, because that would seem to indicate Spider-Woman's batting a bit over her head. Like if Baron Mordo was one of Spider-Man's major enemies.

Unfortunately, I couldn't finish up my collection of The Ray (which I've really got to sit down and read in one sitting when I do, as all the time travel and sudden siblings have got my head spinning every time I read bits and pieces), so that was a bit of a bummer. The one thing I didn't grab that I thought about was a trade version of the Nocenti/Adams Longshot mini, but they've resolicited that recently, right? But it's probably for the best, I had already spent more than I really should have, I suppose. Now I have to get back to going through what I did buy. Night.

No comments: