Sunday, May 18, 2008

I Realized What Bugs Me About This Cover

So here's the cover from that Quicksilver one-shot from two weeks ago. From the time I saw it, there's something that bothered me about it, and it only increased once I finished reading the comic. I had a vague idea what the problem was, but I finally figured out how to describe it today.

See, the comic paints Pietro as being in a desolate place, emotionally. Just devastated, broken. And I think that's what the cover is trying to convey, with the blood, torn clothing, and slouched posture. The problem is his face, at least to me, looks angry. It's probably the gritted teeth. A more slack-jawed or dazed expression, might have given him more the appearance of a man shell-shocked by his life, and less that of someone who got in a brawl, and is maybe at the police for locking him up.

Actually, what I thought of looking at his expression was that he was thinking, "Damn this wooden bench! Even once I get my super-speed back, I'll be picking splinters out of my backside for hours!" Except it isn't a wooden bench, it's more like a cot, so maybe he's thinking about how the thin mattress isn't doing his lumbago any good.

Well, I'm glad that's settled. I'm gonna go buy some Pringles. Later.

{Deep-voiced narrator: Just then, something on the TV catches Calvin's attention!}

Wait, what's this? FX is showing a commercial for the upcoming, final season of The Shield? When?! September!? Oh, come on!

4 comments:

SallyP said...

Mmmmmmmm...Pringles.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Actually, I wound up buying a loaf of bread, since it's more cost-efficient, and so now I can have toast with jam and peanut butter.

It's not Pringles, but it'll do.

SallyP said...

Good bread is an acceptable choice. Preferably with lots and lots of butter.

Seangreyson said...

MMM. Peanut butter on toast with milk. That was my dinner last night. :)