Wednesday, May 07, 2008

What I Bought 5/7/08

Has anyone seen that discussion on the Newsarama Blog that's going on about Brand New Day, and how a lot of commenters on Millarworld still aren't happy with it? I think Graeme had to be a little sarcastic with that last line about why can't we all just move on and enjoy classic Spidey stories bit, because, as commenter Vin noted, why would people that didn't like BND three months ago, suddenly like it now? I've got more I want to say in response to one of the commenters, but when I started typing it, it started running long, so it'll keep until tomorrow. Let's talk about comics I actually spent money on instead!

Nova #13 - I like the sense of scale on the cover, though they may be overstating Galactus' size just a bit. So Galactus is devouring the planet Obrucen, and all Nova can do is help evacuate. Except there's something running around murdering the populace, and dire situation or not, Rich won't stand for that.

I liked this a lot. I like that Rich understands he's in too far over his head to stop the planet's destruction, so he tries to help how he can. Even in the midst of it, he also refuses to let things descend into chaos and anarchy, which is interesting. I wonder if this issue is a sign that having all the Nova Force might be going to Rich's head, causing the instability issues that plagued the last person to try it (Super-Nova). Back when he got the power, the Worldmind said it could help him for awhile, but he would need to find a different place to house the Nova Force eventually. Well, it's been awhile since then, might be time to start looking.

I like that Abnett and Lanning always give Rich two problems to deal with at once, whether it's the transmode virus and Not Space Zombies, or Galactus and the other issue that appeared for him to worry about. I get the feeling that Wellinton Alves is a horror actor. He seems to draw creepy/weird stuff really well, so this title may wind up like that show Master Shake said he had. You know, the sitcom (Rich and Worldmind's banter), with a sci-fi/horror twist? That's never been done before. I really, really want to see how this plays out.

X-Factor: The Quick and the Dead - If it wasn't Peter David writing thing, I wouldn't have bothered, but I like what he's done with Pietro, so what the hey. He looks a lot like Magneto on that cover, and while it's a nice cover, I kind of wish he looked, more exhausted I suppose. It would mirror his mental state better.

Pietro's in a holding cell, hallucinating, and being mocked by two alleged crooks locked in with him. His sister tells him it'll be OK, his dad tells him to get up, he hasn't faced anything like what his old man survived. Crystal and Luna tell him he's a good person, and they love him, and Layla, well, Layla tells him something a bit different, a bit of a surprise, truth be told.

It's odd. This is largely a book of people talking (really, one guy talking to himself), but it's very well done. Pietro's become a very interesting figure to me, and so this is a nice look into his mind, and the latter half of the book is fun, because you can feel the joy the character feels over this turn of events. With the exception of one snappy answer to a stupid question, PAD keeps his smart alecky dialogue tendencies in check, which is good since I don't think they really fit the tone of the comic. I like Raimondi's art, more in the first half, because I'm not sure I always buy the sense of motion in the latter half. But early on, it's fascinating (to me, anyway) to look at how Pietro and the ones haunting him interact, but I think that's for a later post, as well.

Wow, I woke up this morning, and I had an idea what I could post tomorrow. But now I think I've got enough for a full week, at least. Not saying it's all great, mindblowing stuff, but it's nice to have topics in mind. Until tomorrow then.

5 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

I'm suffering from a bit of an idea drought myself. Concepts are floating around out there, but I'm not too sure how to write them.

Oh well, in the meantime - GOLDEN AGE STORIES.

They're more fun than Secret Invasion anyway.

SallyP said...

Poor old Nova. Always having to save the world. Or the universe. You'd think he'd like to take a day off once in a while.

Poor old Pietro. Nice ending though.

CalvinPitt said...

fortress keeper: I would say that a kick in the nuts would be more fun than Secret invasion but a) that would be terribly cynical of me, b) I don't think, as a guy, that I'm allowed to say anything would be worse than a kick to the nuts.

Plus, I haven't really paid much attention to Secret Invasion, so that wouldn't really be fair of me, if I feel like being fair.

sallyp: Well, Nova did get some time off after he stopped Annihilus. And that trip to Earth was supposed to be a vacation, it just didn't wind up being very restful.

Jason said...

Darn it! Blogger ate the big, long comment I had just written. Anyway, long story short, do you think the Quicksilver thing was done in order to set the table forWanda to come back and play a part in cleaning up Secret Invasion? I mean, the best explanation for ***SPOILER*** how Pietro got his powers back is that Wanda had something to do with it, so it makes sense that they did it to get her back in the reality-warpin' business. Plus, since Marvel set off this event mania with Disassembled, it makes sense that Wanda will have something to do with their utimate end-game, if that is what SI proves to be.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: I hadn't considered that. I just figured since the Terrigen crystals gave him time travel abilities when he had them, without them he's just really fast again (I guess, I was figuring he was traveling through time by moving real fast, I dunno).

I'm not sure what I think about it being Wanda's handiwork. Would that imply she remembers things, which didn't seem to be the case when Hawkeye found her, or is that Wanda a Skrull and the real Wanda's the one from that ship in the Savage Land? Ugh, headache.