Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dark Knight Thought

With The Dark Knight nearly upon us (well, couple more weeks anyway), this seems an appropriate time to consider the Scarecrow. According to Gordon (Gary Oldman, you were the bomb in The Professional, yo!) Crane was still on the loose as of the end of Batman Begins. This may be common knowledge, I don't know, I haven't been paying attention to movie message boards (I fear to tread there), but can we expect to get some progress on that?

I'm not picky. They can mention he was caught sometime between the movies (though I doubt they'd go that way). They can say he's on the loose still, but we don't see him. He could be connected to the Joker, unconnected, an immediate threat, working quietly in the background, waiting for a moment in the future to strike, whatever. Any sort of little mention would be hunky-dory for me. More would also be perfectly fine. Like I said, I'm not picky, and I don't think the movie would be ruined for me if they didn't make some nod to it, but I can imagine it might distract me while I'm watching. More likely, I'll forget all about it when the movie starts, until they made some mention, then I'd remember I was worrying about that and be happy.

I liked Cillian Murphy as Dr. Crane, and I'm sure they do have something planned for him, I'm just wondering how big a part of Dark Knight he'll be. I'm guessing with the Joker around it won't be too much, but some presence should be fun.

3 comments:

Jason said...

You know, I had heard a rumor back when Batman Begins came out, that the common thread between all of the Batman's future villains would be that they were among the Arkham inmates that were exposed to Crane's fear-gas and that's what twisted them to become full-on super-villains. I wonder if they'll plug that into the movie.

It's also possible that Crane could pop up in the Gotham Knight animated DVD they're coming out with next week. I think all of the stories are in the movie continuity. One of the episodes is currently free on-demand (if you get Comcast) and it's pretty good, though it's odd to hear the "classic" animated Batman's voice (Kevin Conroy) coming out of a more anime-looking Batman/Bruce Wayne.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: That idea about all the baddies having been exposed to fear gas sounds pretty cool. It could be interpreted as Ra's plan to bring Gotham down continuing past his death (assuming they aren't going to incorporate Lazurus Pits into the movies. Or tell us that they are many Ra's.)

Derek said...

Comcast OnDemand has this Dark Knight event listing, with lots of things to check out: trailers, "making of"s, and an in-universe news show called Gotham Tonight.

I've been watching them recently, and they mentioned something about Crane gathering a cult or army or something. They said they "couldn't confirm" it was Crane, but there were reports that the leader wears a burlap sack over his head.