Saturday, January 03, 2009

What I Bought 1/3/09

I'm back. Helped my dad with some random stuff around the house, concluded that his dogs like him too much, which is why they're so much less crazy when I'm the only one around, 'cause they don't give a damn about me. New Year's was all good times. Friends of mine from the college years met a friend of mine from the pre-college years, and a good time was had by all. And hey, first New Year's party I've been to in 4 years that didn't end with druken partygoers fighting. Always a plus, that. Anyhoo, review time, such as it is.

Guardians of the Galaxy #8 - Now we know how Starlord wound up in the Negative Zone. The current Guardians convince the Badoon to leave the planet they were wiping out, and Adam Warlock is trying to get a meeting with the Holy Matriarch.

This is how I like for writers to juggle multiple plot lines. The Starlord story gets most of the pages, so we get considerable movement there. But they leave enough pages to follow up on the cliffhanger the Guardians were presented with last issue, providing a temporary resolution there, and give us a quick check on Adam and Gamora to keep them fresh in our minds. I also like Ronan's portrayal. He's not the angry fellow he was in Annihilation or Conquest, because the situation is somewhat more stabilized, so he reassumes that cold demeanor he usually holds. Also, I am glad somebody else (besides Dwayne McDuffie) is going to do something with the questionable decision to place a prison in the Negative Zone which has a gateway to Earth. It's still a bad thing to just have sitting around.

When I saw Pelletier's name was missing from the cover and interior credits I was a bit displeased. Sure, it's good that Marvel's decided to use artist that can meet monthly deadlines for their events, I just wish they were yanking artists I like from books I enjoy, you know? Still, Brad Walker was quite effective for my tastes. His linework seems thinner than Pelletier's, and he might not add quite as much detail to the surroundings, but I think that may open things up during the fights scenes. There are times Pelletier's fights seemed almost claustrophobic, as if the pages weren't large enough to contain the battles. Which is kind of a cool sense, but a little frustrating, because I feel like I'm missing some of the effect of the work. Didn't have that same feeling here. So if Mr. Walker is taking over, I can live with that, I think.

And that's all there is. See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Man, now I'm disappointed that I stopped reading GotG, but the Si tie-in just turned me off too much. Guess I'll have to catch it in trade.

Did you ever get Nova #20? Just wanted to hear your reaction to the last page.

BTW, congrats on the Cards making it to the next round Warner was on fire today.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: I got Nova #20, it's in last week's reviews, I just couldn't find an image of the cover to include. As for the last 2 pages, um, I don't know what to make of it, besides Abnett and Lanning poking a little at the Green lantern Corps. Worldmind has clearly lost its mind.

What about the SI crossover turned you off of Guardians? Was it the fact none of the team were Skrulls, or the reveal about the Skrulls that were actually on Knowhere? I should warn that this issue has War of Kings stamped on the cover, if that would be a concern.