Friday, January 22, 2010

A Character's Potential Realized

Marcos Martin's pencils weren't the only I reason I opted to buy this week's Amazing Spider-Man. Don't get me wrong, I like his artwork, but it's not a guaranteed buy all by its lonesome. The other selling point was the story features Mysterio.

I like Mysterio as a character. His costume is really strange in a cool way. I like his being a stunt man/special effects master gone bad. It provides room for him to play the master of convoluted death traps, or to make the hero question their sanity, with plenty of room in between. Plus, there's something about him challenging a super-hero with literally smoke and mirrors. It's gutsy, and shows a certain self-confidence, I think.

Funny thing is, I don't own any Mysterio stories. The only comics I have he appears in are Sinister Six stories, and those aren't really going to showcase his skills, surrounded as he is by people made of sand, or with metal arms, or whatever.

I used to own Spider-Man Unlimited #4, where he sets a guy with a Spider-Man costume, has the guy bust a fake crime and get unmasked in the process. The guy holds press conferences to explain himself and becomes wildly popular, while Spidey stews. It's kind of an interesting idea, sticking it to our hero by messing with the public perception, and Mysterio has the technical knowhow to mimic enough of Spidey's powers that the public (who we must remember are morons because this is the Marvel Universe) will buy it. I think it goes downhill after that. Peter figures out that rival photographer Lance Bannon has some inside track on the whole thing, follows him to a meeting with a source, and follows that guy to Mysterio. Mysterio sets giant Spider-merchandise on our hero, but chooses to stick around rather than vacate the scene. The whole thing wraps up with Mysterio trying to shoot Spidey in the head with a finger laser and mssing, then getting dropped with one punch, and Spidey exposing the whole situation to the public. So there's some parts there I like, but on the whole, not that good.

Hopefully the current arc will be an awesome Mysterio story I'll treasure forever.

Here's my question to you: Is there a character you've always liked in theory (or conceptually, or liked the potential of, however you want to phrase it), but has never been in a story you really enjoyed? For the heck of it, is there a creative team you think would be the perfect duo to make a great story with that character?

No comments: