Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What I Bought 1/13/2010

The temperature here has actually gotten above freezing each of the last three days. Prior to that, it hadn't topped that level since New Year's Eve. I'm sure that's not unusual for folks up in Minnesota, but it's a bit atypical for this neck of the woods. In other news, this was a very small week for me. Naturally, next week I'll have something like 5 books, but just one this week. It's a bit of a bummer, but it does mean today's post will be quick, and I can get back to watching my complete set of the Adventures of Brisco County Jr. It's funny, I've finished the first three episodes, and I don't think he's fired one shot.

Secret Six #17 - Look at that cover. Bronze Tiger looks like some kind of giant werecat. It's a travesty. OK, it's not that bad, but it's not good. This comic follows up from last week's Suicide Squad #67, as Amanda Waller finally lets her legion of Multiplexes starting burning the Six's base, while the rest of the Six try to defend themselves against the Squad, then against Black Lanterns.

Certain questions I had while reading. What was the deal with the gargoyle? The Six's base in called the House of Secrets, which was one of DC's old horror titles, so were live gargoyles a feature of that place? Why would Nightshade be kicking and punching Bane? Why not make a shadow gorilla (or something), and have that pummel him? It'd be considerably more effective? Have Count Vertigo's powers always been able to cause hallucinations? I thought he just screwed with your physical equilibrium, not your emotional state, but he's got Bane seeing a bunch of creepy, laughing Batmen.

I think there's also at least one coloring error. Black Lantern Yasmin says she sees Rick Flag trying to overwhelm his fear with Will, but the picture shows green with a tinge of red, which is Rage. Shouldn't it be yellow peeking through? Or were they saying Flag represses his fear very well, but his rage, not so much? I did think the similar panel on the next page of Deadshot, where it's mostly black with just emotions bare cracking through was well done. Calafiore does his typical work as pencilier. Draws a decently creepy Black Lantern, makes sure everything is clearly represented, but nothing spectacular.

I would like this story a lot more without the Black Lanterns. Just Waller being her controlling self, trying to drag Deadshot back in, and destroy the Six while she's at it. As a result, I like all the parts of this issue that revolve around that concept quite a bit. It's not that the Black Lantern stuff is poorly done. I like Yasmin's dig at Rick Flag, and I will admit the idea of a Black Lantern trying to similarly mess with The Wall's emotions is intriguing (mostly because I'd like to see the BL's reaction when it fails). On the whole though, it's not my cup of tea. Still, there's at least half a comic here I enjoyed, for what that's worth ($3 apparently).

That's the week's comics for me. Blog at ya tomorrow.

No comments: