Sunday, March 20, 2011

Finally Got Back To The Finale

I meant to talk about the Burn Notice season finale months ago, but I kept getting distracted and pretty soon I forgot all about it. I happened to catch a rerun of the first half of it earlier this week, and there's no time like the present.

It's kind of funny I went to the trouble of writing a post about how much I like Tyler Brennan as a foe for Michael, only for him to wind up dead before the halfway point of the finale. That's Dead Larry for you, always killing people. I must say, Larry's arrival was a real surprise, though it made a certain sense once I thought about it. Brennan would keep tabs on Michael, in case he wanted to use him again, so he'd learn about Larry, his connection to Michael, and how much effort Westin has to expend keeping Larry from going on killing sprees every time he drops by. If Michael's busy holding Larry back, he can't do anything about Brennan.

I shouldn't have been surprised that Dead Larry would kill Brennan, but I was. I was used to Brennan having things planned out well enough I didn't he'd let Larry get that close. I put too much faith in Tyler Brennan's intelligence, which is the same mistake Brennan made. At least it didn't get me stabbed to death.

I do wonder if we'll see Larry again. Each time he's appeared, he's had a job to do, but he's also been trying to recruit Michael, because he believes they're the same inside. Even though Michael's went against him each of the two previous times, he let Larry escape both times. Larry could tell himself Michael was still fooling himself about his true nature. Now Mike's left Larry to likely be arrested by the cops. I have no doubt Larry can escape the police once they get him someplace Sam can see him through a sniper scope*, but I doubt he harbors any more illusions about Michael teaming up with him in the freelance killer business. Which could make Larry very dangerous. He doesn't care about Mike's brother or mother, or about Fi, and I think he hates Sam. The only thing that stopped him from killing them was he wanted to be Mike's buddy. If that's out the window, so is Larry's restraint.

* As an aside, as much as I enjoy Larry as a character, I was a little disappointed Sam didn't just shoot him. He wanted to, and heck Fiona got to kill Carla at the end of Season 2 like she wanted.

No comments: