Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Not A Tale From The Woods, Surprisingly

I watched a duck try to murder another duck yesterday.

I'd already known the ducks at the pond near my house were a little strange. Last summer I learned they had a taste for Fritos, but only as long as the person tossing them out was seated. I think they belong (or belonged) to someone in the neighborhood, because they're present year-round.

Usually they seem to get along, swimming around the pond in a loose grouping, sitting on the shore together. Yesterday though, something was up. I (and a nearby puppy) observed what seemed to be two ducks, one white, the other black-and-white with a pink bill, fighting over something. The body of the black-and-white one seemed deformed, until I realized there was actually a second, smaller mottled duck in there as well. The reason I hadn't recognized it before was the little duck's head wasn't visible.

Eventually the situation became clear, though the motivations did not. The white duck was biting the little duck's head and holding it underwater, as the little one kicked and struggled to escape. It's head would appear, it'd try to swim away, but the white one would still have a grip, and would shove it back under again. The large mottled duck was attacking the white duck, and just as I was going for a stick to throw at the white one (never a rock around when you need it), the white duck let go (or lost its grip). The little duck fled to the opposite side of the pond. The large mottled duck started chasing the white one, apparently interested in driving home a point.

Eventually they scattered to the middle of the pond when the puppy decided to come to the water's edge to get a closer look (and a drink). From over there, they started rearing out of the water to show their chests and flap their wings. By that point I wasn't sure if they were trying to impress me, the puppy, or each other. Whichever it was, I don't think it worked. The ducks each went about their business, the puppy wandered back across the road, and I continued my walk.

This used to be such a nice neighborhood. Now we have attempted avicides, in broad daylight no less.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Don't forget that birds are descended from dinosaurs. They're evil...EVIL!!

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Aw, dinos are just misunderstood.

Birds are evil, though. But that's something I think they developed on their own.