Friday, December 26, 2014

In Case You Haven't Heard About Norm Breyfogle Yet

I did want to take a minute to post the link to the fundraiser for Norm Breyfogle. My guess is if you read this blog for the comic related stuff, you already knew he'd suffered a stroke, and while he's recovering, he now has a huge hospital bill. So if you can spare a little cash to help with that, there's the link.

Apparently the stroke affected his left side, and he's left-handed. Hopefully that can be dealt with through physical therapy. My grandfather had a stroke, and I know he was able to get back some use of that half of his body, able to drive and walk at least, pick things up, things like that. Drawing is more of a fine motor skill thing, so I don't know how different that's going to be. That's one of the things that's scares me, that at some point my body's going to break in some way and I won't be able to do things I enjoy any longer. And it could just happen out of the blue. Hopefully Norm Breyfogle's going to make a full recovery with time.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

This is so sad. And it is also disturbing that so many of the writers and artists that make our beloved comic books lack insurance or pensions.

CalvinPitt said...

I wonder if there's a way the comic writers and artists could unionize, get some benefits written in, or pensions. I know that's why a lot of people are going to Image, doing the creator-owned thing, so they get a larger share of any profits from TV or movie deals, but that only helps if you actually get those sorts of things. Not everybody does.

There's so many people doing different things, though, not to mention all the people just looking for a chance, plus personal grudges, I don't know if it would work. Would DC and Marvel just cut out the union folk and find some other people willing to forgo the benefits?