Thursday, April 19, 2007

Is It "Please"?

Tonight's post contains spoilers for this week's 52 and the World War 3 books. Or maybe just one of them. I only skimmed them, so they're all kind of blurring together, focused around that panel of Adam putting his fist through {name deleted to eliminate spoilers}. Ouch. Anyway, if you haven't read those yet, are planning to, haven't had them spoiled by other blogs reviews, and don't want them spoiled now, you should probably mosey elsewhere, and come back when you've read them, so you can chime in. Go ahead and take a few moments to decide. The rest of us will wait.

While they're deciding, I wanted to ask you something. Looking at the cover to this week's Shadowpact (in the post right below this one), does Enchantress look a bit too busty? Maybe she just needs more fabric in the chest region of her costume. In fact, I'm sure of that, but I'm still not sure what was wrong with her old outfit. I liked the hat, but I'm a fan of hats in general. OK, they should be done deciding by now. let's get on with it.

- So, While I was skimming those books, I reach the point where Captain Marvel explains why how he tried to get Adam's powers taken away, and the Egyptian gods just laughed. So now I'm confused. If Adam gets his powers from Egyptian Gods, rather than the Greek pantheon (plus Hebrew king) Marvel invokes with "SHAZAM!", does that mean the letters stand for something different when Adam says "SHAZAM"?

There's Seth, Horus, Anubis, can Ra be called "Amon-Ra", or am I thinking of the pharaoh who claimed to be descended from Ra? I don't know any Egyptian figures that start with "Z", so I'm kind of up against a wall here. Little help?

- This second question, really shouldn't be a surprise, given the kind of posts I frequently spit out: What did Captain Marvel change Adam's word to (assuming DC has some sort of actual plan with this move)? I've considered "sorry" "forgiveness" "pimpmobile", but I'm thinking "Isis". Adam seems to be in such a place of rage, that I don't see him speaking his dead love's name aloud. Too painful. Of course, Adam may welcome the pain, and try to use it to spur him forward to still more revenge. Hmm, he really didn't seem to kill many of the people he was actually angry at, did he?

12 comments:

Centurion said...

The wisdom of Zehuti.
^_^

Chris said...

I think you've got it right on with "Isis". It's exactly the kind of continuity-link DC can continue to milk for years.

Of course, the other logical choice would be "Didio", just to see the kind of retcon and metacommentary the next writer would pull out they ass to remove it. :-)

Matthew said...

According to Wiki, the names are Shu, Heru (aka Horus), Amon, Zehuti (aka Thoth), Aton (aka Aten) and Mehen.

Tom Bondurant said...

I'm voting for "Kltpzyxm" or maybe "Rumplestiltskin," since both are way outside Adam's wheelhouse. However, I'd love it to be "antiquing" or "pimpmobile."

thekelvingreen said...

"Imperius Rex!" perhaps?

SallyP said...

Sorry about the "Isis" word guys, but after Captain Marvel changes the word, in 52, Adam is wandering around the suk, mumbling to himself, saying..."Kahndaq, Osiris, Isis, Batson and Eternity".

He does look awfully depressed.

Personally, I think it is something like fersluginner.

Matthew E said...

I'm putting my money on 'Bosco'.

Anonymous said...

It's obviously MAZAHS!
He'll NEVER guess that one!

Or word verification: axoqrs
Some set of awesome powers must be invoked by it!

Jason said...

There's a Black Adam min coming out soon after 52 (per this week's 5.2 on Newsarama) so I have a feeling that he'll figure it out soon.

The one thing I was thinking was how cool would it be for Adam and Superboy Prime to team up and raise hell? That would be one hell of a threat.

CalvinPitt said...

centurion: Blast my lack of knowledge of Egyptian mythology!

chris: Or, according to Sallyp, I don't. How about "Quesada"? Then the word would only be invoked after Joey Q leaves, hoepfully ending the acrimony between the two companies?

matthew: OK, that explains that then. I must not have looked in the right place on Wiki (does Adam have his own page, I was using Shazam's).

tom bondurant: "Antiquing". Heh.

kelvingreen: Hmm, there could trademark issues involved with that one.

sallyp: Blast you, with your careful reading of the actual issues in question!

matthew e: Any particular reason? Was that the Marvel Bunny's secret identity?

anonymous: Hide it in plain sight. I love it.

jason: I think a Black Adam/Superboy-Prime team-up would be DC's equivalent of "Fred Hembreck Kills the Marvel Universe". Or "The punisher Kills the Marvel Universe". Whichever is more tonally appropriate.

Matthew said...

Black Adam does indeed have his own Wiki page!


I shall refrain from pointing out that the Shazam page links to that very one.

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: But you just did point it out! Agh! I am really not good at skimming apparently.