Sunday, April 22, 2007

Now Let's Talk Conventions

Hi everybody, it's me, Faceless CalvinPitt! I hate to do that, but some of you may be axe murderers, and I don't want my face recognized. So, some general thoughts from the weekend.

- I'd say that Ken got a much bigger crowd this year, but by moving to a larger locale, it seemed less crowded. A lot more vendors, an entire wall for various creators, and even with gaming being deemphasized from last year, still there was more than enough room to accomodate them. Best of all, I never got that claustrophobic feeling I get when I feel like there are too many people around me.

- On Saturday, there was a small child who apparently has the same name as me, and the kid tended to get too far away from his mom, which lead to a lot of me looking up from a longbox when I heard some lady call my name sharply.

- I expect Ken to take the week off. The man was constantly on the move both days, checking with the guests, greeting the fans, making announcements. I have no idea how he does it.

- Had two Darth Vaders prowling around on Saturday, several Sith/Jedi, a Imperial officer (also known as Vader's Crushed Throat Whipping Boys), and a Chewie, plus a guy trying to pull of brooding Anakin in Episode 3. He did pretty well, certainly had the poofy hair. I enjoyed seeing a little kid walk up to one of the Vaders and proclaim him too short to actually be Vader. I was polite enough not to laugh then, but faux Vader ain't here, so I now say, with full impunity, ha ha!

- Having been someone who rarely pays attention to who was making the comics I was reading (until about two years ago), I don't know much about creators, including what they look like. That being said, I was still surprised that Denny O'Neil reminded me of former Clinton adviser James Carville. Or was it Agent Skinner from the X-Files?

- After making a comics purchase, the vendor I bought from threw in a Roy Thomas written Conan the Barbarian for free. Sadly, Mr. Thomas was on lunch break at the time, and I was called away to meet some friends before I had an excuse to go up and talk to him. Still not sure what I would have said, since I don't know how much of his work I've read. Missed opportunities.

- While perusing the longboxes, I came across something I had to have. Curses, I was two dollars short! I rushed out of the convention, desperate to get to an ATM. Naturally, I had the entire SEMO campus between me and my vehicle. Let that be a lesson kids: Parking far away because you enjoy walking is stupid. Fortunately, I was able to get to a cash machine and return before my prize was gone. What did I purchase, you ask? Oh, not much just...


-The entire run of NextWave!!! Can you feel the Earth tilt off its axis? Can you feel the power? Upside-Down Puppy feels it, see!

-Ah, Warren Ellis, I don't know what your beef is with Tom DeFalco, but I do know that in the afterlife, when you find out your maker likes Spider-Girl and Speedball, NextWave is going to be what saves you. Joe Quesada will likely not be so fortunate.

- I can't really think of anything else to say. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, I enjoyed myself, so it all works out. So let's end with a picture of a stormtrooper just kicking it.

8 comments:

Matthew said...

RE: the child with the same name - can I resist posting a quote from an atrocious 90s movie? I think not!

"Only my mother calls me Calvin."
"I am your mother now, Calvin."

SallyP said...

Well, it does sound as though you had a nice time. But I am astonished! You mean you weren't buying Nextwave from the start? Usually I'm the one that starts around issue 7 or so, and has to go nuts trying to find the back issues. For once, I got in on the ground floor!

Have fun reading them!

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: Quotes from atrocius movies are always welcome!

sallyp: Sadly no, I wasn't buying it from the start, but I've read through them once already. Now I need to go back and look more closely.

Anonymous said...

question:

i got nova havent read it yet..also on your recomendation(sp??) i got ahnailation (sp??)
havent read it yet..butt


in avengers...before dissasemble...quasar absobs ego the lving planet in "maxium security"(the galatic space races turned earth into a space jail/planet..ego was sent to earth...anywho... quasar some how absorbed ego then went off to space because if he was on earth ego would be let loose...
ok so my question is...what happend to him? did he dide? i seen some girl as quasar???? so what happend to the guy quasar??

Anonymous said...

p.s if you cant tell by my awful grammar and spelling

its gabe summers. hahaha

so eah tell me about quasar.

CalvinPitt said...

gabesummers: During the Annihilation: Nova mini-series (released the 4 months prior to the main Annihilation mini-series), Nova and Drax run into Quasar trying to help a planet evacuate. He and Nova smash a bunch of Annihilation Wave ships attacking the fleeing refugees, then try to fight Annihilus themselves.

Nova gets knocked silly, and when Quasar tries to shield him, Annihilus uses his cosmic control rod to absorb the energy of Quasar's bands, and Quasar with him. The new girl is a daughter of Captain Mar-vell and she got ahold of the quantum bands at the end of the main Annihilation mini-series.

I have no idea what happened to Ego though. I recall someone mentioning the same story you did last summer when all this happened.

Anonymous said...

thank you...so its in the mini ill go get that one to.thank you...i was hoping they would at least mention it and you have just confirmed it for me ill give daughter quasar a shot...because i would have feeled jipped if they didnt at least kill him off on panel..i hate them off panel deaths..thank you!!!

gabesummers

thekelvingreen said...

Yeah that was me. I mentioned it as soon as Bendis had Quasar turn up in Avengers Disassembled.

They never resolved the Ego thing, but I assume it just got fixed behind the scenes, as, as you point out, Quasar shouldn't be able tos et foot on Earth without destroying it.