Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Only Time I'll Discuss The Multiverse

Well, probably not, but it's a better title than "The First Of What Will Probably Be Several Posts About The Multiverse, Appearing Whenever It Does Something That Catches My Attention". I mean, that's just too wordy.

So DC's Multiverse is back. Being a Marvel reader of the last several years, and having some experience with '60s DC (I really enjoyed my dad's copy of the team-up of the two Atoms. Of course, Ray Palmer is pretty much the only '60s DC super-hero I actually like), I'm OK with that. I can't say I understood how a giant bug helped this come to be, but I get the basic Multiverse concept. I would have preferred completely scattering the heroes through out the universes, rather than having one Earth that seems to have some version of everybody, and then a bunch of others that have only got some of the heroes. That way it spreads them a little thinner, gets everybody more face time (In theory. In reality, the universes that don't do well either get swiftly ignored, or get inundated with characters that will boost sales). But then DC couldn't have their big JLA/JSA crossover as readily, and we wouldn't want to miss that would we? Well, I could live without it, but some of you might not be able to.

But really, DC can do one thing that would cement a fond place for the multiverse in my heart (because that should be their biggest concern, making me, specifically, love their ideas). It's not a hard thing to do. Just show me one universe where Cassandra Cain is still on the good guys side. No anti-hero, Punisher stuff. No "kill villains and anyone who tries to stop me" stuff. I include both because I don't think DC knows which one they're going with so far on Primary-Earth (I'm pretty sure Adam Beechen prefers "dead" or "punching bag", but he wrote a comic that featured Space Cabbie, so he's evil and should be ignored). Cass as a full-fledged hero. Really, that's all it would take to sell me completely on the return of the Multiverse. She can be Batgirl, Kasumi, Cassandra Cain, Kick-Ass Girl, Kick-Ass Boy, whatever. Just one universe where she's accepted by the white hats, rather than hunted by them.

I don't think that's an unreasonable request. It might placate the fans that have been screaming bloody murder the last year (as opposed to those of us settled into relatively quiet depression), and I'd buy the comic featuring it, which should make everybody happy. You've got a system in place where Winick and Jeff Smith's Captain Marvels are equally valid (nice work on that, by the way), I figure there has to be someone who works for you that wants to do something with a heroic version of Cassandra. Find them, pick an Earth, and let them run with it.

Please? Pretty please? What if Adorable Baby Panda asked you to? ABP hasn't gotten to read current works with non-bloodthirsty Cass yet, and would very much like to. Come on, make the panda smile. You know you want to.

6 comments:

Ami Angelwings said...

Sadly, the way she's currently being written, she's not even capable of killing villains much less anybody who tries to stop her :(

In 2 issues of Teen Titans, she's been knocked out 4 times alrdy. :\ In the last one, she just tripped and hit her head on the ground :(

SallyP said...

If they can have a happy Cass, then there is also a world where the old JLI still exits, with Beetle and Booster, and Ice and Fire, and Guy and J'onn.

Oh, it would be delightful.

Jason said...

Yeah, I second a vote for Earth-Bwaa-Haa-Haa.

I do like the fact that they've refused to provide a guide to the new Earths so they don't hamstring writers for the next few years. Though I do think that they should start takin gpitches from blogger, I did like Kalinara's idea about Earth-25.

CalvinPitt said...

ami angelwings: Yeah, I saw the most recent issue of Teen Titans. Not one of Cass' better days.

sallyp: I'd be fine with that. More laughter for everyone.

jason: See, what we need to do is get all the JLI fans and Cass fans together, and present these requests to Didio as a united front.

Anonymous said...

again im remind of why i never bothered with dc.

gabesummers

CalvinPitt said...

gabesummers: There are times I think I'd have been better off if I'd stayed away from DC, too.