Sunday, March 09, 2008

Time Makes Fools Of Us All

You know how sometimes when you see someone yawn, it makes you want to yawn as well? If today was any indication, I'm apparently susceptible to dog yawns as well. I was out walking this morning, and as I went by a house, I observed a dog in the backyard yawning. Once I finished chuckling at how its tongue kind of unrolled as it yawned, I found myself yawning. Seemed a bit odd.

Anyway, I don't have a particularly inspired post today, just something I read in Avengers #275 that made me chuckle. It's not really a fair thing to chuckle at, because it was accurate when Roger Stern wrote it, but it is funny how things change.

The Absorbing Man and Titania, having been thwarted in their attempts to catch a plane out of New York after helping trash Avengers Mansion, have informed Zemo of this difficulty. Zemo takes it all in stride, and asks them to go to a hospital where some of the Avengers have been sighted, in this case, Wasp and a comatose Hercules. Crusher and Titania show up and begin terrorizing the people at the hospital, and the Wasp decides that she and Scott Lang/Ant-Man (who showed up at the hospital to see if he could help) have to stop them.

Scott's response? 'We have as much chance of stopping those two as Spielberg had of winning an Oscar!' Yes, I'm easily amused, but it's interesting to see what a difference 20 years can make. To their credit though, our heroes did defeat the villains. Which, now that I think of it, doesn't reflect so well on Spider-Man (who's the reason why the baddies didn't make their flight). He couldn't stop them, but Ant-Man and the Wasp could? Then again, Spidey was outnumbered, and Absorbing Man had to heft a loaded passenger plane over his head to make Spidey give up and leave, so extenuating circumstances. Also, I think Roger Stern may have amped the Wasp up, powerwise, when he got the book. I'm just rambling now I think.

3 comments:

Jason said...

You know, I had just read the trade of that story a few weeks ago and that line cracked me up.

Also, yes, the yawning thing works between man & dog. My dog makes me yawn when she yawns and vice versa. I guess we're both stupid animals.

SallyP said...

Heck just talking about yawning, makes me want to do it. I just tell myself that I'm getting oxygen to my brain.

So...did Antman and Wasp fly into their ears? Usually it's their ears.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: So it works both ways? Interesting. *rubs chin*

sallyp: 'Getting oxygen to the brain'. I like that.

As to Wasp and Ant-Man, no flying in the ears. Mostly they flit around, using hit-and-run tactics. At one point, Wasp zaps Absorbing Man in the eyes, causing him to revert to human form (he was steel at that point), Ant-Man grows to normal size, sucker punches him, then shrinks again before Titania can get him. Later he swarms her with ants, then hit her with some Pym particles to make her shrink, so Wasp can blast her through a wall.

Eventually Wasp batters Absorbing Man down thanks partially to her ability to fly at near human size (at this point she could be about 4 feet tall and still have wings. Doesn't seem to have been used much after Stern, though).