Wednesday, March 05, 2008

What I Bought 3/5/08

This is going to be an uneven month. All told, there's 12 comics coming out I plan to buy. Eight of those come out next week, so be prepared for lots reviews on the 12th. However, all of zero of those comics were released this week, so what to do? Well, a customer of Ken's was trying to unload some of his collection, and Ken had set about five longboxes out last Friday, which I went through, with the idea the stuff I found I'd buy today. I love back issues, you get so many more comics for your money. I got 2 dozen for less than a dollar a comic. So just some quick things about each of them, as I sit here reading them.

Avengers #275 - Wasp and Scott Lang protect comatose Hercules from the Absorbing Man and Titania. Meanwhile, Zemo has Mr. Hyde beat up Jarvis, and rips up Captain America's picture of him and Bucky. Not too bright there Baron.

Batman and the Outsiders #5 - Teen Titans guest appearance! Robin tells Batman that he's a better team leader, what with not being a jerk and all. Or something like that. Dr. Light is in coward mode, though not quite a total pushover.

The Defenders #62 - Be a Defender for a Day! Nighthawk is absolutely losing his shit, Hellcat's being a flirt, and nobody likes Valkyrie's coffee. Oh, and Turbo, being a moron, convinces a bunch of the other heroes to help him try and capture the Hulk. Now I have to find #63, because I want desperately to see that blow up in their face.

Doctor Strange #62 - Strange, Wong, and the Nightstalkers against the Lord of the Vampires. Roger Stern has written some damn good stuff, hasn't he? But really, I just picked it up for the cover. It looked really cool. The groovy story was a happy bonus.

Fantastic Four #336 - Where the FF get attacked by a bunch of villains clearly not suited to fighting the premier family of the Marvel Universe, and Reed Richards makes an impassioned (and fairly reasoned) case against a superhuman registration act, pointing all sorts of flaws that Quesada and the gang neglected to hammer out in the most recent round.

Marvel Knights #2 - Oh, I'm getting so close to having all of Dixon's Marvel Knights series. Unfortunately, this isn't the issue where Punisher tries to fight Thor's old enemy Ulik, just the issue before it. It is fun to watch Castle rile up Daredevil, though. DD makes it so easy, too.

New Teen Titans #5, 7, 11 - I'd read some things on blogs here and there that the Titans never seemed to win any significant battles on their own when Wolfman wrote them. I've got The Judas Contract in tpb form, and it didn't really dispel that notion, so I grabbed these to expand my sample size a bit.

New Warriors #12 - Good news everyone! I've finally got the entire Nicieza/Bagley New Warriors run! Go me! *total silence* Well, I thought it was good news. . .

Power Girl #2 (of 4) - I was curious. It looks like this was when they made her some offspring of Arion, or else that's what this mini-series was going to establish. Can't say I approve of the giant triangle earrings she wears when in costume, but it was the '80s, I suppose. Weird times.

Spectacular Spider-Man #94 - Cloak, Dagger, some oddball enveloped in energy in the center of the cover, it piqued my interest. But what do you know, Peter had a supporting cast, and he wasn't involved with Mary Jane, and it didn't require, aw you know the rest.

Thunderbolts #9, 12 - 20, 23 - It's Kurt Busiek writing a team book, with Mark Bagley drawing it. Yeah, I think I'd be interested in checking that out. Boy howdy, Busiek knows how teach a fella about the history of the Marvel Universe, that's for sure.

The Thing #36 - The cover said She-Hulk versus Ms. Marvel (the Sharon Ventura version, not the Carol Danvers one), and I said "Sold!" I'm shallow, I admit it. Although The Thing has a fairly disturbing saliva strand thing going on on that cover. I'd show it to you, but I can't get the Grand Comics Database to load, so I can search their archives. {Edit: Now I can get it to load, and here's the cover. See what I mean?}

So, not too shabby of a haul, if I do say so, myself. I'll have to spend some time going over these in more detail, but it's already taken me like four hours to do this post, what with me typing it as I read the comics.

7 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

That is a great haul! I own, or used to own, many of those back in the day.

You've inspired me to hit the 50 cent bin tomorrow!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Simonson FF. How we love thee.

You need to find the Fantastic four vs. Dinosaurs two parter at minimum.

SallyP said...

Ahhh...there's nothing quite like the joy of rooting through the back issue boxes. Plus, there is the fun of feeling that you've gotten a bargarin, which always helps.

On the other hand, you then find yourself going back and getting the subsequent issues, because you simply HAVE to find out what happens after that cliffhanger!

This is one of the reasons I love comics.

Seangreyson said...

Congrats on completing the New Warriors run. That's one of the most exciting accomplishments in comic collecting.

I still have fond memories of finding Excalibur #78 sitting in a back issue box at a tiny little comic shop, and completing my Excalibur run.

Jason said...

Man, if only Marvel would release Essentials of Bagley's Thunderbolts & New Warriors runs, I'd be in hog-heaven. I hate buying back-ssues since I am too lazy to keep them in any sort of organization. I much prefer having everything on a bookshelf.

Anyway, that Avengers story-line (Zemo takes over the mansion) is an old favorite.

Plus, Simonson FF is always welcome, that issue feels like it was written specifically anticipating Civil War. I'll have to yank that trade out tonight.

Also, that Defenders issue, was that when Nighthawk had his brain removed?

CalvinPitt said...

fortress keeper: Then I wish you good fortune in your back issue hunting.

anonymous: I've got the "New FF" issues, and the one where Reed and Doom battle through time, and you can read the comic two ways, but I will also seek out this Dinosaur combat you speak of.

sallyp: I know what you mean. I have to find the follow up to that Defenders issue now, because surely something hilarious is gonna happen when heroes try to capture the Hulk.

seangreyson: It does feel good. Now I just need to find time to sit down and read them all at once.

jason: No, I think Nighthawk's brain is safely in his skull, he's just mad because some guy named Dollar Bill said anyone can be a Defender if they just show up. Though that's no call for attacking the Falcon like he did.

Seth T. Hahne said...

That was one of the few issues of Avengers that I loved back in junior high or whenever. Ah, the good ol' days.