Wednesday, July 30, 2008

What I Bought 7/30/08

Last week, Ken needed someone to look after the store for him for a couple of hours, since he had some stuff to do, and Tom was on vacation. I didn't have anything better going on, so I agreed to do it, and in return Ken hooked me up with some cash, and some store credit. Pretty sweet for me basically sitting on my butt in the A.C. reading for 4 hours. So I trot* to the store today, ready to do some purchasing, except, nothing from my pull list came in this week. And since I'm scared of new things, I used some of the store credit on some Heroclix boosters instead. It netted me a couple of things I want, and something that I can hopefully trade for stuff I want.

One of the figures I got was the Ms. Marvel, the actual Ms. Marvel. See, this set is Secret Invasion, so WizKids decided to be clever and for five of the figures (Ms. Marvel, Yellowjacket, Mar-Vell, Dum Dum Dugan, and Elektra), make one version that's a Skrull, and one that's the real deal. They're the same points, but they have different stats and powers. The problem is, both versions look identical, and for four of them, both look like Skrulls (both Dugans, for some reason, look human). Which makes no sense.

If we're dealing with the real Carol Danvers, why the hell is she green with a wrinkly chin? And if it's the Skrull impostor, why is she running around in Carol's outfit (and with blond hair), but otherwise appearing Skrull-like? That's just bound to blow one's cover. So I may have to see if I posses the skill to repaint the figure and file of those wrinkles, or I can always try gluing the old Warbird figure from the Critical Mass set on the base. It's roughly similar, just no green skin or wrinkly chin.

Anyway, don't worry about my lack of new comics this week. I'll find interesting stuff to post about until next Wednesday, promise**.

* Well, "trot" may not be the right description. "Stagger sweatily" might be more appropriate. Damned humidity.

** Warning: Promise only good on Earth-298, also known as Age of Apocalypse Earth.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Have you dropped Blue Beetle? Sturges first issue as writer was pretty darn good, though I don't know if El Paso is big enough to warrant two criminal masterminds, but hey, comics.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: Technically, I never put Blue Beetle on my pull list. It was more of an impulse buy. I suppose I need to correct that.