Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'll Take My Game Success When I Can Get It

I beat DragonQuest 8 last Sunday. Two and a half years after I started, but it's only about 70 hours of actual gameplay, not quite as bad as it sounds. Granted, I haven't beaten the game entirely, as there are still some bonus missions, but the Big Bad is vanquished, so I think at least partial victory can be declared. I finished in the nick of time too, since space concerns (I've gained a roomie) required me to bring the PS2 home this weekend. So no gaming for the next six weeks. I guess I'll have to pass the time with more reading.

I probably could have beaten the game sooner, but I've been following the advice of an online walkthrough, and its suggestion was to wait until I'd reached Level 40 to fight the boss. I spent several hours running about, trying to fight tough battles to pick up enough experience to reach that point. Eventually, I decided to go for it, because even if I was lost, I might get an idea of how close I was to being able to win. Lo and behold, I pulled it off on the first try. Makes a nice counterpoint to Genji: Dawn of the Samurai, where the (I hope) final boss is still trouncing me*.

I was mildly annoyed with the end sequence in DragonQuest 8. Having defeated the villain, the curse on my king (turned into a green troll-looking thing) and his daughter (turned into a horse) is lifted, which is good. The bad is this means she has to go through with the arranged marriage to the prince of Argonia, Prince Charmles** who is a typical example of spoiled royalty. Cruel, sniveling, lacking in any strength or kindess, totally reliant on his wealth to see him through. The frustrating bit is being relegated to running about talking to people, and viewing cut scenes of things happening. It's annoying because I'd like to take a more active role. When Charmles is drooling over Medea and being snide to my friends, all I could think was "One swing. Just draw your sword and take one swing. His back is turned, he'd be dead before his head hit the ground." But no.

The morning of the wedding, my character (with considerable prodding from his friends) decides to barge in, but there's a guard barring the way. He doesn't believe me when I say I have an invitation (Medea did want me there, so I ought to be invited), and when I try to enter anyway, he asks if I plan to fight. It would have been a short fight, but my buddy Yangus ran up and dealt with him instead. C'mon man, I know you're trying to help, but I need to work out frustrations through violence. The wedding doesn't end up happening; Medea's set against it, her father finally realizes arranged marriages are stupid (and demonstrates some impressive fighting prowess), and even Charmles' father doesn't seem too bothered. That may owe more to the fact he a) knows the Argonite heart his son presented was bought (as detailed in this post), and b) Charmles apparently doesn't care enough to do anything himself, instead ordering his guards to stop me and his fleeing fiance.

I'm not clear on how Medea's father made it down to the carriage before us, since he was holding off the guards while the two of us fled down the stairs. He's a wily old bird, I suppose. I must say the citizens of the kingdom are understanding, or else they love the princess very much. The King had said the honor of his kingdom matters not one whit before his daughter's happiness, so I assume breaking this arranged marriage is going to hurt Trodain's standing in the world, at least officially***. Which might make life somewhat difficult for the citizens. Not as difficult as being turned to stone, like they were while the curse was in effect, but trade is probably going to suffer. Yet when we arrive home, they come rushing out, cheering enthusiastically to see the princess back. That was a nice touch.

The next challenge is some group called the Dragovigians, who are, I believe, dragons. Extremely powerful dragons, apparently, as one walkthrough suggested I should be Level 60 to challenge them. Where were they while everything was going wrong? They weren't on the Big Bad's side, a book in his castle stated he was worried about them, even if they were reduced in number, and they'd have to be dealt with. They should have lent a hand. Lazy buggers, I'll give them a piece of sword for their isolationist tendencies. That''ll learn 'em.

* Though the last time I played, I was close enough to killing him to actually be frustrated with how close I came. As opposed to being frustrated with how badly he was kicking my hind end.

** It's pronounced 'Charm-le', but you would be forgiven for saying 'Charmless'.

*** I'd imagine privately, everyone will completely understand why Medea wouldn't want to marry Charmles, and her father would agree with her. They don't even know that when Medea and Trode were cursed, Charmless whipped them both, because Medea didn't want to let him ride, and Trode stopped him from whipping her. Not making a favorable impression on the in-laws there Charmles. Still, traditions must observed, and it's bad form to break off a wedding an all that, so tsk, tsk, frown, frown, and all that high society bullhockey.

No comments: