Wednesday, October 13, 2010

If Lex Messes With The Wall, He's Gonna Lose Some IQ Points

Lex Luthor is going to hire the Secret Six to take on Vandal Savage in a couple of months. I'm curious whether he'll approach them as himself, or hide behind the "Mockingbird" cover ID he originally developed.

I'm more interested in whether Lex knows Amanda Waller's been using that title to send the Six on missions for some time now. I can (as usual) make arguments both ways. On the one hand, he's Lex Luthor, really smart guy, and I could see him keeping tabs on the Six and things related to them, since they had been useful cat's paws before. I certainly don't see him having any trouble getting into whatever government databases might hold such information if he wanted it. On the other hand, Luthor's also pretty arrogant, so I could see him not sparing the Six a second thought after they had initially ceased being useful, or simply not believing anyone would use an identity he created (if they could even learn of its existence, which he might doubt they could).

I favor Luthor knowing, if only because I'm curious what he thinks about it. He may not even care, as long as the Six are still available for his purposes. But I think he might not approve of someone using his method to manipulate people he once manipulated. It wasn't for nothing he was tapped as a temporary Orange Lantern. He wants it all for himself, no sharing.

I'd like to see Luthor and Waller square off, whatever form that might take. Lex is the super-genius, but I think the Wall is meaner and more stubborn. I was going to say Lex had the edge in ruthlessness, but I'm not sure. Waller can be just as ruthless when she has something to do; she just has the decency to feel bad about some of the people she hurts or sacrifices. Which doesn't change the fact she'll consider Rick Flag or whomever expendable if the situation calls for it, not so different from Luthor.

No comments: