Wednesday, October 06, 2010

What I Bought 10/5/2010 - Part 2

For three hours this afternoon my computer wouldn't/couldn't connect to the Internet. "No connectivity", it said. "Typical", I thought. Comics arrive, and now I can't post. As you can see, things have corrected themselves. They must have, because nothing I tried worked. It's strange, though, the computer and router haven't moved in the last 6 weeks, had worked fine that entire time, and no one else was having problems. Just one of those things.

Gorilla-Man #3 - Ken and Banda find their target's camp, are captured, but with a little luck, and a little help, they end up winning out. Ken finishes telling Banda the story of how he became a gorilla, and soundly rejects an offer to be returned to human form.

I'm torn on how I feel about this mini-series. On the one hand, Ken Hale did have some cool adventures as a human, and the idea that he was driven to seek immortality only once he had things he cared enough about to not want to lose them was pretty cool. On the other hand, he has cooler adventures as Gorilla-Man, so a mini-series that was strictly him jet-setting around the world, kicking butt and being cool, might have been even more fun. Caracuzzo's art still isn't a style that's a favorite of my, but I think the rough edges of it work well for a story about a guy who doesn't live a glamorous life, and enjoys getting his hands dirty. I appreciate it, even if I don't love it.

Hawkeye and Mockingbird #4 - So our heroes did survive the explosion, with a little willpower, some luck, and judicious use of Hawkeye's trick arrows. Oh, and Dominic Fortune survived because of some healing ability. Or maybe he's immortal, since he flatlined, then came back before they could do anything to revive him. The group takes stock, makes a few calls, and starts putting the screws to Crossfire and Phantom Rider. There's a fight at a museum, damaging priceless fossils, and the good guys called in a little mystical support of their own.

This was my favorite issue of the series so far, probably because everybody doesn't seem to hate each other. Clint and Bobbi actually tried talking a little, and Hawkeye's annoyance with Fortune's flirting with Mockingbird seems more good humored now, and less like to result in the guys fighting each other. They don't all have to get along, but for awhile there everyone seemed to actively despise each other, and it was hard to believe their work was worth the aggravation. McCann didn't have the ghosts of the good guys haunt Phantom Rider the way I suggested last month, but Bobbi did use a mental link between her and the Rider to mock him/her/them a bit, which was amusing. I liked that they got in touch with old West Coast Avengers teammates when they needed a hand. It's a little thing, but it seemed like a nice touch.

Power Girl #16 - The issue starts with Power Girl fighting some guy in the Arctic. She unmasks him at the end of the fight, and I guess recognizes him, but we don't see his face, and the issue doesn't return to that point, because it flashback to the end of last issue, when disgruntled coworker Nicco accused Karen Starr of being Power Girl. He proves he's right, they argue about her motivations and methods, he quits. She enlists Batman (Dick Grayson) to help her track her embezzling employee down, which they do, and the cover tells that story. She manages to convince Nicco to work for her super-hero identity, rather than her civilian one, and is preparing to head to the Arctic when the issue ends. So I guess we'll catch up to the fight next month.

I can't figure why Power Girl had to move at super-speed to stop Nicco. Hasn't she ever watched Clark Kent stumble about to avoid blowing his secret identity? It really couldn't have been that hard to move slightly faster so she could dodge, but make it look more like she tripped in her heels or something. I know that hiding who she is isn't Power Girl's style, that she wouldn't appreciate someone threatening to shoot her, and I love her for that. But I thought she was trying to make a go of the "secret identity". If so, well, it's not always going to be easy, she has to work at it a little.

Alright, tomorrow three more reviews, which I hope will be more positive than these. Granted, these weren't as negative as I thought they'd be before I started, but I think the ones coming up will be even more positive. Will they be more positive than those from Tuesday? I don't know.

No comments: