Thursday, October 14, 2010

Watching Ice Road Truckers Is Stressful Enough For Me

I haven't watched recently, but during the summer Ice Road Truckers was one of the only shows I made it a point to catch when it was on. I suppose I'm impressed by people who'd willingly drive up and down mountains on roads made of ice, when I don't even like driving on regular roads that have ice on them. Plus, it's never certain what problems will show up each week. Maybe there'll be an engine breakdown, or an avalanche, a blizzard. There was the one episode Ray was freaked out because his son had a dream and warned Ray to watch out for bridges and left turns, which has to be unnerving driving 500 miles at night, in the winter. I don't know if caribou migrations have posed a problem yet, but they could.

If migrating animals do cause problems, it'll probably be Alex that gets bogged down by them. He just seems to have bad luck that way, though maybe it's his cautious nature that slows him down more. He'll actually stop to tighten down a loose strap, and of course Hugh is able to pass him while he does and give him crap about his misfortune.

It's not that I wish misfortune on Hugh, but when I was at my friend's a few weeks back, I saw the description for that week's episode. It said Hugh was going to be busted for speeding, and yeah, I fist-pumped. Hugh's that guy always pulling stuff and managing to get away with it. He doesn't put chains on his tires because he wants to save time, so then he drives in the opposite lane up an incline for better traction. Which would be OK if he bothered to get on the radio and let oncoming traffic know he was doing it, but he can't be bothered. Then the trucks coming downhill getting surprised by the truck coming uphill in their lane.

No comments: