Thursday, October 07, 2010

What I Bought 10/5/2010 - Part 3

Today I'm looking at one comic from an ongoing series, one from a mini-series, and a one-shot. And I have nothing else for an intro!

Secret Six #25 - It's probably my affection for fighting games that makes me like that cover. I do find it interesting Black Alice isn't among those pictured.

Bane's team tries to force a guy to be more favorable towards his wife in their divorce settlement. Then Spy Smasher demands the team go on a mission for her. That mission is apparently to annex Skartaris for the United States. Yeah, I foresee no problems making that work. Meanwhile, Catman's trying to get himself killed, but instead he and the rest of the group are grabbed by people acting under Mockingbird (read: Waller's) orders, and sent to stop Bane's team. Also, Deadshot does something nice for Alice, in his own way, of course.

I'm surprised Bane's team went along with Spy Smasher. She had what, some dudes with guns on boats? Giganta fights Wonder Woman, I'm pretty sure she could handle that. I am really eagerly waiting the moment when Dwarfstar lets slip he had Ryan Choi killed, and Giganta does something painful to him. I'm sure I'll be highly entertained, even though I shouldn't be. I love the look on Floyd's face when Alice hugs after receiving good news, and that Scandal cares enough about Blake to offer to kill him herself, so the lions don't have to.

Thanos Imperative #4 - Thanos did die, but doesn't stay dead, which doesn't make him or Drax very happy. Drax, on the other hand, looks like he will stay dead, which didn't make anyone, even Thanos, very happy. Also, it told Lord Mar-Vell where to find Thanos. Oops. Except the group Cancerverse Scarlet Witch took out last issue found them first. Oops again.

Nova's plan to take a small strike team and hit Mar-Vell kind of worked. They rescued all the temporal anomalies that had been abducted, including Namorita (who I'd like to see do more punching of bad guys). That's good. The bad is Mar-Vell kicked Nova's ass, shattered the Surfer's board, and blew up his ship after he and his folks departed to go get Thanos. Rescuing is good, but that strategic victory didn't happen.

I'm curious if there'll be a reason Richard was able to get back up. Mar-Vell said he hit Nova with 'an eternity of living, inextinguishable pain', but Nova was up and going before the end of the issue. Either the Worldmind took the hit (even though it's not housed in Richard anymore), or that Abstract making contact with his mind in the previous issue did more than clue Richard in on where the head bad guys were.

Sepulveda's artwork is still up-and-down for me. I liked the panel of Nova trying to zip around Mar-Vell at high speed and blast him from multiple angles, but I've always been a sucker for after-image shots. But the shots when Drax tries to make another run at Thanos didn't look to good. The look on Drax' face seemed silly, and I couldn't figure out what he was doing with that one hand he was sort of reaching towards Thanos with. Was he going to claw his eyes out?

Valkyrie - Hotel employee is dropped off balcony by twisted male guest. As a paramedic tries to use the defibrillator on her, she's also struck by lightning and Valkyrie's back in play. Shes' confused, wants to know who killed, wants to know who she is, who she was. Goes to the Wasp, which I found a little strange. I know they worked together a few times, but I figured she'd seek out Hellcat. They were teammates for a long time. Janet advises Val to follow her heart, while being I'd say too cavalier about Valkyrie's situation. I know people come back from the dead often in comics, but when one of them clearly seems confused, fewer jokes about how Oklahoma is a fashion Don't might be wise. I thought Janet was smarter than that.

Val tries to track down the paramedic, winds up fighting the guy who killed the hotel employee whose body she inhabits, the guy being Wrecking Crew member Piledriver. Whups his butt, and whisks the paramedic off to the hospital for medical treatment.

I'm confused about this. So all those times Valkyrie was on the Defenders, the actually Valkyrie's soul was trapped in Niffelheim somewhere? It was strictly some mortal woman's soul inhabiting the body, plus maybe some man-hating stuff thrown in by the Enchantress? But now, Brunnhilde's soul has been freed (or was freed during the last Ragnarok, and was brought back by Thor now), and it's strictly her inside that body? Or maybe there's also a part of Valerie, the hotel employee as well. Brunnhilde seems to remember all the past adventures, but the story seems to be saying she didn't take part in them. Like moving into an apartment and finding photographs of parties the previous inhabitants had there.

Great, now my head's hurting. That may not be this Valkyrie stuff, but I don't know that it isn't.

No comments: