Monday, October 09, 2006

Forging A New Path

There has been some criticism of Marvel's Ultimate line as simply rehashing stories from the original Marvel Universe, or giving them a minor tweak or update. And I'd say there's validity to this. I mean, did we really need another Clone Saga?

But I think the writers are aware of this, and I think that Bendis in particular may be getting ready to go a different way.

I believe that Aunt May is not going to survive the Clone Saga. Now by itself, that's not new. Marvel Aunt May died during the last Clone mess, but Peter at that point was an adult, married, living on his own. May was a loved one, someone he could turn to for advice when he felt lost, but he wasn't dependent on her.

Ultimate Peter is still a sophomore in high school. Smart as he may be, he can't live on his own. So I guess it's fortunate for him that his father is back. I'm thinking right now that Richard Parker is going to help Nick Fury, in return Fury uses his influence to get Richard loose from Gyrich and his government super soldier program. This would enable Richard to reenter his life, and resume his duties as Peter's father.

In that scenario, Pete's living with a parent who knows he's Spider-Man. In addition, he's living with someone he hasn't seen in years, that he thought was dead. It's going to lead to some difficulty in the two of them reconnecting. Plus, Peter probably won't like yet another tie to Fury, and Richard may want Peter to stop the webslinging and focus on school. After all, he's going to have to sign up with Fury's group when he hits 18, he might as well enjoy what time he has (to be fair, Fury advised him to do the same thing, so I guess Nick isn't all bad).

Peter's should have some problems with the fact his father seems to be involved in the appearance of GwenCarnage, or whatever the hell that thing is. And, I think that Richard would want to do some testing on Peter, which given what happened when he let Curt Conners do that, is probably a request Peter would refuse, which leads to more friction.

"But you let that other scientist, that Curt Conners, experiment on your blood! Why not me?! I'm your FATHER! Why won't you let me in, let me love you?!"

Uh...

That might be too emo, even for Ultimate Spider-Man.

2 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

If Bendis did tke USM in a new direction, he'd go up in my estimation, as the thing that's always put me off about the book isn't so much Bendis' stammering scripts, but that it's like a highlights reel of stories I've already read.

But then I'm one of those people who wants more differences between Ultimate and 616 continuity.

CalvinPitt said...

kelvin: I suppose the "highlight reel" aspect hasn't bothered me as much, because I probably haven't read a lot of the stories he's rehashing.

That being said, I'd be interested to see where he'd go if he did this, just because it's not something we're accustomed to with Spider-Man.