Monday, February 04, 2008

I Hope To Scar You For Life With This

But first, I want to give a big round of applause to the New York Giants defense. You guys did a great job keeping the world safe from the Patriots. Congratulations. And Eli Manning should enjoy the love while he can, because the first time next season he has a bad game, the New York media will jump on him with both feet all over again.

I fear I may have waited too long to post this, as it originally came to me as I was trying to go to sleep Thursday night, I believe. Ah good, it's coming back to me now, so let's begin.

I was think of One More Day/Brand New Day. No, that's not what is supposed to scar you, be patient. I was thinking how Aunt May doesn't know Peter is Spidey anymore (until in a year or so, a writer reveals she really does know, she was just waiting for Peter to come clean with her about it). I thought about what a waste that is, since I felt her knowing, and how that affected her relationship with Peter, was the only interesting thing they did with Aunt May to justify undoing her death in Amazing Spider-Man #400 (which I thought was very good). And then I started thinking about whether or not she's regressed to the stage of fretting about that 'awful, awful Spider-Man', which was usually followed by a heart attack. I was pretty sure I'd read that she does hate Spider-Man again, but now I can't find confirmation of that anywhere, so I guess I was thinking incorrectly. But I didn't know that then.

S0 May hates Spider-Man. And I thought about how she doesn't realize that she's directing that hatred at her "son", or the closest thing she's had to it. And in that moment, my mind made one of those leaps it makes that I wish it wouldn't and the result was 'It's a reverse Oedipus'. Rather than the son desiring to kill his father, and bed his mother, the mother despises her son, and in this particular case, would want to. . . bed. . . her. . . daughter-in-law, I guess? (I know, it doesn't line up right, but it was the middle of the night, you're expecting cogent thought?) From there I concluded it was good the marriage was undone, for Mary Jane's and our sakes. And since Peter will never get married, what with that aging him too much, we're spared from what would have been a truly terrifying story. And only Joe Quesada possessed the vision to see this disaster on the horizon and take steps to avert it. Except of course, that Aunt May didn't hate Spider-Man before the recent Mephisto-bartering, so it wouldn't really have been looming, but I wanted to make a joke about Quesada's marvelous foresight, so there you are. Sometimes logic must be sacrificed at the altar of our creativities.

And I wonder why I don't sleep well.

4 comments:

Hale of Angelthorne said...

I haven't read Spider-Man in a long time, but I have no problem with characters aging and changing. And I don't agree with current thought at DC and Marvel that (generally) holds that change will kill sales. Look at Star Trek; it did much better with an older TOS cast in the movies, or with a completely new cast in TNG. I think the same thing would happen if Dick Grayson became Batman or Peter Parker stayed married and had kids.

SallyP said...

Calvin, I think that's the scariest idea that I have ever read.

That's what happens when you root for the Giants.

*sob*

Seangreyson said...

Just a follow-up to the Jarvis having a problem with Tigra. I was reading an Avengers issue (somewhere between 72 and 75). In it Jarvis walks into Scott Lang's room at the mansion and is polite and pleasant as can be.
In this room Scott is quite excited that he's getting in better communication with the COLONIES OF INSECTS he's set up in his bedroom.
Jarvis actually compliments him on the bugs. Was Tigra shedding really that big an issue?
A little orange fur or wasp nests in the pantry?

CalvinPitt said...

hale of angelthorne: I'm surprised DC doesn't change things more often, since they have all these legacies set up already, it wouldn't be hard for them to go ahead and make some changes under the masks. If the stories that resulted were good, hopefully the fans would support them.

sallyp: Well, fortunately, I don't think I'll be rooting for them again any time soon.

seangreyson: Perhaps Scott promised Jarvis that the insects would pick up crumbs and such, so that Jarvis wouldn't have to vacuum as much? Or the wasps would protect Jarvis' milano cookies from pilfering hands? That would probably help ease any concerns.

Either that, or Jarvis has gotten more cantankerous in his older age. He needs a visit from Aunt May to calm him down!