Friday, February 17, 2006

I Canna Take Much More

Of my soul being eaten up by various pursuits. Still, I post today to ask you a most important question: How addictive is Heroclix?

I've never played, but apparently Saturdays are Heroclix Days at Marvels & Legends. I've seen enough of the guys taking animatedly about the booster packs they bought that I'm becoming intrigued. So I'd like to know some things, and I likely won't see any of the guys at the store until next week. And that's when I thought of you, kind, intelligent, helpful readers. And you're still physically attractive to me as well. Uhh, moving on to the my actual questions:

Is Heroclix terribly addicting?
Is Heroclix terribly expensive?
Is this one of those things where I'm getting into it so late, I'd be hoplessly outclassed and wouldn't have any fun?
Will this game attempt to take control of my soul?

Because with the ongoing struggle between comics, video games, anime, blogging, and who knows what else, I'm not sure I have much soul left to go 'round. The good parts have already been totally destroyed by the battles, and the scrub lands of my inner self may not be far behind.

What canst thou telleth me?

2 comments:

Jake said...

I never really got into the Heroclix the proper way. When they first came out, I thought the concept was cool, but a lot of the rules needed "ironing" (for lack of a better term). My problem is most of my favorite characters weren't in the first two or three sets, so we set out to make our own.

Maybe I need to do a post on that.

Anyway, the point is that I got much more into the creation of the figures and the debate over stats and powers than actually playing the game.

Anonymous said...

I played when the game first came out and really got caught up in it. it is expensive and it is addicting because it plays to the baser parts of the comic readers nature. We love to see the characters outside of the print medium, and we love to collect things.

It got expensive because I'd use eBay a lot more than if I wasn't playing. You add to that the fact that new sets were always around the corner, and you have a recipe for spending hundreds of dollars.

It got addicting because the game was fun and (not to brag) I was good at it. There were local tournaments and I usually finished in the top 2. Human nature dictates that you enjoy stuff you're good at it.

I don't play any more, but I don't think it's too late to start playing. I will say the rules are deceptively simple and that the game pretends (or pretended) to be simple when it really isn't.

Watch your soul.