Thursday, May 04, 2006

Because Everyone Else Is Doing It

I'm going to talk about Infinite Crisis #7. I won't discuss whether it was good or not, whether it accomplished what it was supposed to or not. I've already spent a considerable amount of time on this blog kvetching about this huge event, and how DC seems determined to piss me off, so objectivity is a non-factor. Still, a few things need to be said.

How is Dick Grayson still alive? You're telling me Alex Luthor was firing at Batman with intent to damage fabric? That guy can recreate the multiverse, but can't kill an ordinary human? The funny thing is when Nightwing got hit I went "Oh shit! They killed Grayson! That means we have two new Nightwings, Jason Todd and the guy Todd thinks is Grayson." Of course, that isn't the case.

Why couldn't Power Girl be involved in the Kryptonian fight? I suppose I should be thankful, if she had they'd have probably killed her instead of Old Fart Superman and I'd have burned DiDio alive. Still, we can't see Power Girl wailing on SuperPunk Prime?

Now when he's powered up, the Ray is pure energy, moves at the speed of light, can travel between star systems. Yet he couldn't keep up with SuperPunk Prime. But the Supermans can, but they can't go fast enough to hit the Speed Force? I call editorially mandated bullcrap. Ray could have done some damage, hit the little punk with concentrated red solar radiation, while leaving the Supermen full powered. Would have been some serious whupping going on.

At least I got to see him one more time, before he's shifted out in favor of this guy in the new Freedom Fighters book. Ugh.

Joker killed Alex Luthor? Good. SuperPunk Prime not dead? Bad. I admit I don't know what the purpose of Infinite Crisis was, but it seems like it was meant to clean up the leftover mess from Crisis on the Infinite Earths. Leaving one of the Pocket Dimension Four alive to cause trouble does not count as "cleaning up"!

OK, I'm finished.

3 comments:

Marc Burkhardt said...

Ouch.

By the way, the Ray you like was in this week's issue of Action. He was trying to recharge Superman...

And speaking of light-based heroes, it was nice to see the female Dr. Light get her licks in on the Identity Crisis guy...

CalvinPitt said...

He was? Agh! That's means I may have to buy a *gasp* Superman comic!

The things I do for the characters I love. Thanks for the heads up.

And I am all for Dr. Light getting his tail whipped by anyone, but especially the other Dr. Light.

Anonymous said...

Don't think of it as a Superman comic -- think of it as a Kurt Busiek comic. Pretend that the main character is Samaritan in a different costume and all that guilt just goes away.