Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Bagley On, Cho Off

So, I've felt kind of down the last couple of days, and I think the less than cheery tone of recent posts reflects this, so let me try something I think is a good sign.

I've heard that Mark Bagley is going to be drawing the next arc for Mighty Avengers, giving Frank Cho time to do the art for the arc after that one. This trend of having artists who can alternate arcs (it's been the strategy on Captain America, Exiles and Daredevil for awhile hasn't it?) is one I greatly approve of, if for no other reason than it suggests there is some actual planning being done by the head honchos. They know Cho can't do 12 issues a year, so they set him up for one arc, then give the next one to someone else (that they know can complete it on time), giving Cho (or whatever artist we might be discussing) the time they need to get their work done. Then you hopefully get fewer delayed books, without having to do last-minute artist changes which seem to anger online fans (of course, everything seems to anger online fans, but that's another issue). Organization is a lovely thing isn't it?

Given DC's trouble with delays the last year or so, have they started moving towards this? I do remember the last arc on Green Lantern Corps was by a guest artist wasn't it? Or is DC having more trouble with their writers?

So, I just wanted to quickly throw that out there, so I can devote my time tonight to watching one man harm people with words, and another hurt people with whatever happens to be handy. I'm referring, of course, to the new episode of House and the season premiere of The Shield (only 13 months after last season ended!). Woo hoo!

Oh, and for the record, my love for Mark Bagley's art will not convince me to buy Mighty Avengers. Too many characters I just don't care for.

7 comments:

Jason said...

I really wish Bagley could quit Bendis. I really don't feel compelled to buy anything written by him anymore, but I really would like to see Bagley's art again.

While I also applaud the alternating arists on arcs idea. It's a shame to see Bagley getting caught up in it, since he's the one artist who could easily pump out 12 issues a year without a problem, I'd rather see him with a regular gig than just fill-ins.

Matthew said...

My Sentry love will currently not allow me to quit Mighty Avengers. Wolverine though? It's gone. I enjoyed the Civil War arc a lot more than another interminable Sabertooth match-up.

SallyP said...

*Gasp* You mean there are actual Editors and things, trying to get things under control? What a novel idea!

Green Lantern Corps, has been written by Dave Gibbons, but for issues #7-9, they had a lovely little story arc by Keith Champagne, which was awesome. Apparently, they are going to give him some more to do in the future. GLC however is one of the books that actually come out on time, which is nice. Green Lantern has a guest artist this month with Daniel Acuna, taking over briefly for Ivan Reis.

It was nice to have House back on regularly. That every 3-weeks crap was REALLY getting on my nerves.

thekelvingreen said...

Someone likes The Sentry? Have I fallen into an alternate universe?

Yeah, this artist switching is a good idea, but it's taken them long enough to work it out. If they'd figured it out during Morrison's X-Men run, it may not have looked so choppy.

Unknown said...

Hmmm...I like the idea simply for the fact that it gets books out on time.

But if I were an artist who manages to consistently produce decent work on time - like Mark Bagley - I think I might be a little pissed off that the head honcos were pandering to someone who can't meet deadlines...

...but there's a reason I'm not an artist.

-M

CalvinPitt said...

jason: Yeah, I would have preferred Bagley team-up with a different writer for awhile, but who knows? Maybe he'll try Dan Slott or someone after this MA arc?

matthew: Yeah, I'm not sure why we need Jeph Loeb's interpretation of the dealio between Wolverine and Sabretooth.

sallyp: Truly, the idea of editors at Marvel is something that calls for deeper reflection.

kelvingreen: Well, with Quesada in charge, you have to expect a few years delay before the message is received.

CalvinPitt said...

matt: You know, I wonder what the reliable types - writers and artists both - think of the perennially late guys. Do they dislike them? Pity them? Envy them because they're big enough names they can get away with it?