Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What I Bought 3/24/09 - Part 1

Truth be told, the comics actually came in yesterday, but I figured if I put of yesterday's post until after the reviewing and panda-related tomfoolery, I'd probably talk myself out of it entirely. It may surprise you, but there are times when I think one of my posts may be too stupid even for this blog. Stunning, I know, so I find it best to post before I have a chance to reconsider. As to yesterday's post, it seems one thing we can agree on is that if Strange is gonna give up the title, then the replacement should not have a Y chromosome. Hellcat, Elsa Bloodstone, Amanda Sefton, Pixie (even if meant not entirely seriously). Heck, Clea would be my preference out of all the characters that were actually on the cover. Not entirely sure what to make of that.

Agents of Atlas #1 - Woot, it arrived! I don't imagine I need to waste much time recapping it. Venus extends an offer of partnership between Atlas and Osborn, Mountain Man Marko tries to snoop around Atlas headquarters and gets eaten, and the team meets Logan sometime in the past. I wonder whether all these past adventures are going to end up tying together somehow. Will the mind control insects be connected to the weird Soviet jet pilot skeleton guy?

Odds and ends from the issue: Enjoyed Gorilla Man's Continuity Catch-Up. Enjoyed that Jeff Parker took the time at least give us some idea where these characters came from and how they wound up together. Enjoyed little details in Carlos Pagulayan's art, like how the Sentry is sort of playing with Venus' hair during her meeting with Osborn, how he helps her out of the suit, all those things that show how totally in her thrall he is. Also, he draws a really awesome dragon. And Jimmy Woo looks totally fly in his Leader of Atlas Outfit. Little bit Mandarin, little bit Hefner, all cool.

Amazing Spider-Girl #30 - To the surprise of no one, good triumphs over evil. Norman Osborn is banished from Peter Parker's mind and that's hopefully the last we'll see of him in the MC2 Universe. It'd be nice to have one universe be devoid of that pain in the ass. I was surprised at the resolution of the 2 Mays arc. Not at all what I was expecting. It's like that one What If? about the Spider-Clone. The original Clone story, not the '90s one. So that could be interesting. I'm not sure about DeFalco having Peter say he never quite mastered making web parachutes, and had trouble with the landings. I know, it's a piddling thing, but I think it would have been enough to suggest she figured that out without his teaching her, since she'd already demonstrated what she learned from him by properly saving Gwen Stacy. It's an astral plane thing, don't ask.

I think this is it for me and Spider-Girl, at least for awhile. Going back to the previous series, it's been about 90 consecutive issues, and I think I'm good for now. Plus, Spider-Man Family costs an extra dollar, and I'm kind of cheap.

Booster Gold #18 - What are you doing there Rip Hunter? You don't even show up in this issue! Actually, where the hell is he? I've forgotten entirely when we saw him last. One Booster goes after the original knife, and learns it's connected to the Blue Beetle scarab. The other Booster tries to find Rainbow Chronal Man, who turns out to be Rex Hunter, pissed off at Rip Hunter and how he does things. I suppose if a guy let me die because I pushed a Lex Luthor in front of a train (among other indescrections, like trying to stop Barry Allen from becoming the Flash, I'm sure), I'd be mad too. Also, he told Michelle she was supposed to die in the explosion, so now she's on the verge of a breakdown.

Thing I don't understand. Rex is explaining the portal thing. He says 'Ask for any time you want to see, step inside, and you're there.' Michelle responds 'Which means you can't do it on your own.' Uh, what? Where in that statement does it say he can't do it himself? Is she referring to how he would get back? The portal would close and you'd need someone else to request the time you were at so the portal would appear again? I think I need more laughs out of this book.

Deadpool: Games of Death - Wait, Greg Land drew that cover? Really? Huh, maybe Deadpool being fully masked minimizes the telltate marks of Land's style. Wade travels to an island for a life-or-death reality show, supposedly to save the no good son of a rich man, and hijinks ensue. I love that word, "hijinks". Wade poses as Grand Master Woo Ping Yeun, Father of the 'Flying Guillotine', Renowed Master of the patented 'Serpent Strike Death Touch'. That's a pretty impressive title. Anyway, there's much hilarious, slapstick style death, as Wade and the other contestants try to survive the various trials, like mini-bike riding through a minefield. Fun!

Deadpool proves more resilient than expected, and actually has himself a successful day for once. Hooray! It also demonstrates, for as often as Deadpool might be played for comedy when around other costumed types, just how dangerous and skilled he is when dealing with your run of the mill martial artist, special ops type guys. Those chumps never had a chance. Mike Benson does the writing, and follows Daniel Way's current rendition, as Wade argues with his two sets of internal narration boxes and hallucinations. Not a lot of them, but enough to keep it consistent with the current portrayal. I'm not familiar with Shawn Crystal, the artist, but like the style. His Wade is a slimmer fellow, closer to the Reilly Brown version than the Paco Medina, Ed McGuinnes style, which is fine. The art remins me of someone, but I'm not sure who. Doesn't matter, I like it fine, though I wonder how Kariem Williams got the top half of his afro cut off, but not the top half of his head. Curious.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Hijinks IS a nice word. So is lapidary. I'm not quite sure why I threw that second one out there.

Frankly, I think that Rex Hunter was just being MEAN to poor Michelle, messing with her head like that.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: "Lapidary" is a cool word, and one I hadn't heard before now. I thank you for the introduction? Know another word I like? "Ribald". Has kind of punchy, judgmental feel to it.

And there's no doubt Rex was being mean, but I think he was hurt that Rip let him die for changing events, but then goes and changes thing by saving Michelle. Now did he save her to replace Booster, or was it to get Booster back on board?

SallyP said...

I'm a little confused about the whole "save Michelle" thing myself, quite frankly. But since Rex is obviously a jerk, I suppose I can't blame Rip for not wanting to have him around.

Ribald is indeed a lovely word, and should certainly be used more often...especially in comics.