Thursday, September 09, 2010

Clever, Not Entirely Rotten Thieves Are Fun

I didn't review the first two issues of the Black Cat mini-series when they were released, though I'm planning to review issue 3 when I get it, but I did want to mention how much I'd been enjoying it so far.

I wouldn't have really expected that, since it ties in with the Grim Hunt story, but the connection is tenuous enough (so far) that I can ignore it as necessary. The plot isn't all that unusual for a story focusing on a thief. A rich and powerful (not to mention cuckoo bananas) family wants some pretty things, they first try to frame the thief, then force her to get the baubles for them, using family members for leverage. It works fine as a plot, get the reader to root for the thief, who is, after all, a lawbreaker (and not in the sense of being a costumed vigilante stopping super-powered bank robbers, though Felicia does some of that as well).

I'm enjoying the greater focus on Felicia's character. I like that she takes pride in her work and in her name. She's so good authorities usually can't tell anything was even stolen, so when someone commits crimes and gets them pinned on her, it riles her. It aggravates her more when Spider-Man buys into and stops her from catching the other thief*. I like that she has people/associates/friends that help her prep, and that she puts in the work to make things go smoothly. It would be easy for her to simply rely on her powers and breeze through, but she wants to do things cleanly, and do them well, which I imagine is a nod to her father**.

Felicia's not close to her mother, though I wonder whose decision that was. Ma clearly doesn't approve of the cat burglar lifestyle, and also doesn't seem to approve of Felicia's relationship with Spider-Man. Which is funny to me, because I remember in the '90s, Aunt May was never very pleased when Felicia was around Peter. She even busted out the icy voice bubble at one point. Admittedly, Peter was a married man (or not), but it was still surprising, since Aunt May's usually nice to most everyone (even Harry Osborn when he was in his downward spiral).

Javier Pulido's been handling most of the art so far, and I've enjoyed the action sequences, or the rooftop scenes. There's a part in issue 2 where Spidey catches up to her and is trying to talk to her, offer to help, and she wants no part of that. Until the last couple panels, they're both drawn as silhouettes, and I really love that. I think it reminds me of an opening credits of a caper film, or what I think such an opening sequence should be like, and that feels appropriate for the story. Felicia hasn't spent much time in civilian clothes, but when she has, Pulido and Javier Rodriguez have made what she's wearing interesting. I don't know if it's practical or realistic, but it's definitely more distinct than the usual "t-shirt and jeans" look.

If you can find the first two issues somewhere (or just the first one), I'd say pick them up, give them a whirl. Or wait for a trade, since it would likely include extra content, maybe some of Felicia's early appearances.

* It's funny, though, she gets mad with him for suspecting her, but she does, in fact, still steal things. Spidey just doesn't know about it. Or chooses to ignore them because there's no evidence linking her to the crimes. Which I guess is what people use as evidence, the theft being that perfect.

** Jen van Meter hasn't had Felicia discuss why she's a thief, though at the end of issue 2 she has a phone conversation with her mother about why her dad was a thief. As near I can tell, van Meter's going with the idea Felicia became a thief to follow in her dad's footsteps, rather than the reason Kevin Smith assigned in that other Black Cat mini-series from a few years ago. I am all for sweeping that under the rug, then beating the rug ferociously, then burning the rug and what's underneath to make sure.

2 comments:

Rol said...

I'm looking forward to the trade. I always thought Felicia could carry her own book.

CalvinPitt said...

Rol; She's never had more than a mini-series back in the '90s, has she? And I think she might have been a private investigator then. Shame, there would be a lot of fun in a globetrotting thief book. There's so much great stuff to steal in the Marvel Universe.