Saturday, January 14, 2012

Seven Months Behind Everyone Else. . .

It's an X-Men First Class review! Well, calling it a review may be a bit strong. I tried watching the film two Wednesdays ago while Alex was at work. I got as far as Little Charles and Raven's first meeting before turning it off, and watching Rio Bravo with the commentary on instead. I was in some strange mood that night, I don't know. So I tried again the next morning, and made it the whole way through.

Which makes it sound like more of a chore than it actually was. I think I may have liked it more than any of the other X-flicks. I never watched X3, the first two were OK, and Wolverine would have been better if it had decided whether it wanted to be silly or ultra-dramatic, and then stuck with it*. First Class seemed better written, and had a more consistent tone. Serious, but not to such an extent there couldn't be some funny moments.

I still wouldn't rank it with my favorite comic property movies. I took about a page of notes while watching it, and when I'm not complimenting Kevin Bacon on his stylish coat, or calling various characters "Man of Action", I'm asking questions.

Is it a good idea to disrupt the concentration of the guy levitating your submarine? *Erik drops sub on beach, submarine breaks open* I guess not.

How were the non-Sebastian Shaw mutants going to survive a nuculear war when their sub was right in the middle of it? Could Shaw absorb the energy in a sufficient radius to shield them? What were the Cubans up to during all that? I at least expected the military to show up and defend their own beach.

Why couldn't Darwin adapt to having an energy ball dropped down his throat? I wasn't under the impression his power required conscious control. Why say afterward you can't even bury him? You can bury ashes.

During her visit to the 'Russian military retreat'**, why did Emma remove her coat, when she was just going to use telepathy to make the Russian general think he was getting some? That was a big house, with large windows, probably inefficient central heating. She didn't need to remove her coat. How did Erik manage to crack her neck if she's really diamond in that form?

OK, most of those are petty little things, and by and large, I enjoyed the film. Xavier's portrayed as vastly overconfident in his ability to manipulate people, which fits with a young man who hasn't had much difficulty in his life up to then. So, faced with real challenges, he makes mistakes, like misjudging Raven's inner turmoil, and I wasn't a fan of his mindwipe of Moira. I know, he had to protect his students, but there had to be some way to pull that off that doesn't leave the CIA director saying essentially, 'This is why you don't let skirts in the Agency." Anyway, it is interesting to see that Charles in his own way, is ruthless. He's not as indifferent to other's suffering as Erik, but he can still be the cause of it easily enough.

Erik, of course, loves to play the victim, even when he has enough power that shouldn't be an issue. He immediately blames Moira for Charles paralysis. Never mind he was the one who simply altered the trajectory of the bullets when could have easily stopped them like he did the dozens of missiles moments before. I guess that's the good things about Erik and Charles, they call each other on their bullshit. I'm not sure how much either one listens to the other, though. They both seem too entrenched, even at their relatively young ages, to consider the weaknesses of their respective positions.

I'm glad I watched it the whole way through, even if I don't feel the need to see it again. Alex Summers' Hula Hoops of Death alone were worth seeing once. Oh, and Oliver Platt as the Man in Black. So happy to have his theory validated, and just as quickly he loses control of the situation, when Charles points out his telepathic amplifier is useless without a willing telepath to use it.

* Not that action movies can't have humor. I like some funny with my fighting and explosions, but Wolverine swung so wildly from one to the other it was jarring. All the dramatic screaming at the sky, then lets have a boxing match with a really fat guy, or see Logan destroy the kind old couples' bathroom.

** I love those titles. That one and 'Covert CIA Research Base'. Apparently they hadn't hit the Age of Cool Names for Places yet.

No comments: