Thursday, July 11, 2013

I Can Read An Awful Lot Into A Small Part Of One Wolverine Trailer

Prior to last week, I don't think I even realized the new Wolverine movie was coming out this month. One of those side effects of no TV for five months. Spend three days around it at my dad's, and oh! there's a commercial.  Now there seem to be trailers popping up regularly. Here's one I saw yesterday, deaths at a funeral.

I don't have any particular reason to expect it to be good. Law of averages - or Sturgeon's Revelation* - for one thing, the bipolar style of the first one (deadly serious or trying to be one minute, silly the next) for another. That being said, I'd be fine with being wrong.

My major concern is Yukio, that's her with the red-dyed hair, apparently. Granted that she's only in the clip for about 5 seconds, but I hope she doesn't look so serious through the whole movie. She should be having fun, taking insane risks and laughing the whole time. Even Logan should be going, "You need to calm down, lady." Like I said, only a few seconds of her there, she could be wildly different in the rest of the movie, but that was my first thought: Yukio should really enjoy an armed brawl at a funeral. That was kind of her thing. She was the one who meshed with the more animalistic, instinctual side of Wolverine, the part that wants to go with what feels good. As opposed to the part of him struggling to get past that, to believe in honor and duty, the samurai code things he tries to embrace.

No guarantee they're going to use any of that, I suppose.

* Wikipedia says his actual law was 'Nothing is always absolutely so'. Hmm, maybe I should make that the blog motto, so I wouldn't have to use qualifiers like "generally" or "frequently". You'd all take it as given I didn't mean something was always a given way, wouldn't you?

No comments: