Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Question Of Vital Import

Which series of action movies do you think is better: Die Hard, or Lethal Weapon?

My dad picked the Die Hard films. I think Alex picked also picked the Die Hard series.

Probably depends on your feelings towards the later films in both series. I haven't seen the most recent A Good Day to Die Hard, for example. My dad thought it was an all right action film, but Alex thought it was awful. I thought Live Free or Die Hard had some good points, but Timothy Olyphant doesn't do much for me. I don't like Die Hard 2, but I'm a pretty big fan of Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Lethal Weapon 3 isn't a favorite of mine, and I'm largely indifferent to Lethal Weapon 4, but I really like the first two, especially Lethal Weapon 2. I agree with my dad the Joe Pesci was a good add to the cast, and hey, they kill a bunch of racists. Good times. Factoring in I can only discuss 8 of the 9 films, the top 4 is split evenly between the two series, with Die Hard at the top, the Lethal Weapon 2, then Lethal Weapon, then the third Die Hard. But the rest are kind of in a muddle, since there are parts of each I like and don't like. Except Die Hard 2, that's firmly in 8th place. My general feeling is that I'd rate Die Hard a having the higher ceiling, but Lethal Weapon was more stable. Doesn't reach quite the same peaks, but didn't hit the same lows, either.

But that's me. What's your opinion?

No comments: