Wednesday, March 25, 2015

31 Days of Scans - Character I'd Bring Back From The Dead

Well, most of the characters I like are either still alive, or not technically dead. Cass Cain never officially got killed off, she just got lost in the reboot shuffle. There is someone who is officially dead I'd like to see back, and that's this guy.

Richard Rider, the late Nova Prime.

Rich had a decent (if obviously and awkwardly shoehorned in) heroic death at the end of Thanos Imperative. It was him and Star-Lord, giving their lives to keep an unkillable Thanos trapped within the collapsing Cancerverse. Except Hickman brought Thanos back (though if he hadn't, I'm sure Starlin would have), and Bendis brought Star-Lord back. Nova's the only one still dead, and that's stupid as hell (every account I've read, Bendis' attempt to explain how that happened in Guardians of the Galaxy's Original Sin tie-in was as bad as I'd expect). So there's no reason for Rider to stay dead.

This isn't me trying to get rid of the new kid, Sam Alexander. I may not have anything for Sam, but I don't have anything against him, either. He can be Earth's Nova (or the New Warriors' Nova), while Rich has all the fun, cool adventures out in space. Or Sam can drive Rich nuts by doing typical impulsive teen hero things. Whatever. I don't want Sam gone, I just want Rich back

I miss this guy. He believes in what the Nova Corps is supposed to stand for, to the point he won't abandon prisoners to an army that will almost certainly brutally kill them for sport. He has enough experience under his belt to know how to talk his way out of it. But he still has enough of that old cockiness he can't resist poking the bear a little bit, because he's confident he can back it up. And he's powerful enough I want him to poke the bear, because I want to see that fight. I was always disappointed we never got to see any payoff between Rich and Blastaar.

First image is from Nova #3, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (writers), Sean Chen (penciler), Scott Hanna (inker), Guru eFX (colorist), Cory Petit (letterer). The other two are from Nova #28, Abnett and Lanning (writers), Andrea Divito (artist), Bruno Hang (colorist), Cory Petit (letterer).

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Well this is embarrassing. I didn't even know he was supposed to be dead!

Yeesh!

That's really dumb, they SHOULD bring him back! There are probably a hundred pretty simple ways to do it too.

One of my favorite lines of his, was when he came back to earth after saving the Universe...again..and Tony Stark gave him some crap about Civil War, and he told him to go...blank himself more or less.

CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, they killed Rich off at the end of Thanos Imperative (the last bit of the Abnett Lanning Cosmic run) back in 2010. It was supposed to be him and Star-Lord, but obviously Peter Quill didn't stay dead.

I thought about using scans of Rich telling off Tony, because that was really good, but I really like that exchange with Blastaar, so I went with it instead. He basically talks rings around the big lug, which I enjoy.

garlador@yahoo.com said...

Every month without Richard Rider in a comic is just another sale Marvel isn't making from me.