Monday, April 20, 2015

The Weekend Didn't Go As Planned

Did not make it to Cape-Con this year. Alex was insanely busy all weekend, and I didn't feel like making the drive through some ugly weather by myself. Did take advantage of the presence of comic shops to buy almost everything I wanted that came out over the last month, plus a couple of other things. We'll get to those reviews eventually, maybe next week.

Alex' shows went well, outside of that stretch Saturday when the one inebriated girl was leaning into the booth to request a song, obliviously holding her drink way too close to one of his speakers. She wasn't being crazy or anything, but accidents can happen, you know? He spent most of Sunday cooking for a catering gig he has today, which I couldn't help much with. Clean a few pots, run out for more supplies, help make some meatballs. Some of his other friends came over and irritated him by complaining he wouldn't hang out rather than, you know, helping.

During one of the lulls, I got roped into a game of "polish golf". That's what they called it, looking onlne leads to a bunch of links to "ladder golf", which doesn't seem like the same set up. The way we played, they set two PVC pipes in the ground maybe 15 yards apart, and put a beer bottle on top of each one. You play in pairs, and you take turns throwing a Frisbee at the other pairs' bottle (or the pole). They try to catch the Frisbee (one-handed, because you have to hold a beer in one hand) before it hits the ground, but they can't grab it until after it's passed the pipe. If the bottle is knocked off, they have to try and grab that, too (also one-handed). If the Frisbee hits the ground, the team that threw it gets one point. If the bottle hits the ground, that's two, so up to 3 points per toss are possible.

It's weird, considering I'm right-handed, but I had much more success catching with my left. Maybe it's left over from baseball, I don't know. Still bruised or jammed all of my fingers. I didn't have a lot of success with throwing, at least in terms of knocking down the bottle. Fortunately I was partnered with someone very good at that, so we won both games.

Saw parts of Let's Be Cops, which was about as stupid as I thought it looked when its commercials started appearing last summer. No surprise there. Then Alex and I made the mistake of trying to find something on Netflix, which never seems to have the movies I actually want to see, so we wound up watching Oldboy, and Alex was the fortunate one, because he fell asleep part way through. The lesson I took from that is if some guy has you imprisoned for 15 years, then has you released, and offers you the chance to kill him, with the cost that you'll never know why he did it, just kill the guy and be done with it. I should have gone with Europa Rising.

No comments: