Monday, January 22, 2018

What I Bought 1/10/2018 - Part 3

Last week, while out on work-related stuff, I had to run out to my truck to get something for a guy I was trying to help. I grab it, rush back to his office, and as I round the corner, I walk right into one of his employees standing outside spitting his chewing tobacco. Hit me dead-center in the chest. Couldn't have timed it better if it were a Three Stooges bit. Sigh.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #28, by Ryan North (writer), Erica Henderson (artist), Rico Renzi (color artist), Travis Lanham (letterer) - I'm entirely on board with Squirrel Girl punching Loki right in his face.

Loki is able to deceive Dormammu long enough for them to call on the ghosts of squirrels killed by humans to use to bother Dormammu enough he leaves the dimension for now. I'm not totally sure that should work, but OK. Time to rescue Nancy and Tippy, and rather than magic them across space, Loki hijacks the Guardians of the Galaxy's ship, with an irate Drax inside. Squirrel Girl unfortunately talks him into helping and out of stabbing Loki (for now). They arrive on the squirrel planet, everyone figures out the "Silver Surfer" is a phony trying to trick the squirrels. Unfortunately, the real Surfer shows up, and Doreen, thinking he's another phony, punches him in the face.

That panel of Doreen smacking the Silver Surfer was pretty sweet. His awkward hand gesture because he was off-guard, and I think Henderson drew a few lines to make it appear his face sort of caved in from the impact. Well, haven't we all wanted to punch the Silver Surfer in the face at one point? He's so melodramatic. "OH, am I doomed to soar the spaceways alone forever?" Ugh. Also, Loki's face when he tries his "I never agreed to do no harm," line is excellent. You can tell he's so impressed, and just certain he's going to turn the fight around right there, annnnnnnd no. Her Dormammu was looking a little puffy, though. Devouring too many angry souls for their power, perhaps.

Loki really enjoys turning his head into different things. Squirrel Head, Space Lincoln Head. I think someone is happy with the me he sees in the mirror. I enjoy Drax and Doreen debating if a beanbag is really a chair. Much better than those "is a hot dog a sandwich?" arguments. It's meat between two pieces of bread, how is this a debate? Actually, I like how North works Drax into this comic. I haven't necessarily been a huge fan of movie Drax taking everything literally, but it works well here. North manages to use it to give Drax some decent one-liners where he's being witty, possibly unintentionally, but while still being literal. His, "I have already deduced that from context," response to Loki mentioning how much he likes Nancy. He might be entirely serious, or he might just be feeling clever. He seems to enjoy giving Loki grief, so I can go either way with it.

Anyway, this book continues to be entertaining, and I enjoy it a lot. Surprise!

No comments: