Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sunday Splash Page #11

"Doc Ock Teams Up With The Overwhelming Title Banner", in Amazing Spider-Man #90, by Stan Lee (writer), Gil Kane (penciler), John Romita Sr. (inker), Sam Rosen (letterer), colorist unknown

I hope you're ready for several weeks of Amazing Spider-Man, but we're going to be hitting several different eras and creative teams.

This is the only Spider-Man comic that was in my father's collection by the time I found it in my grandmother's basement. It's most known as the issue that kills off Captain Stacy, Gwen's father. In my younger, stupider days, I would look at the price guide in the back of Wizard Magazine and get excited when it listed this comic as being worth $90. Of course, I was entirely ignoring that being the mind condition, best-case scenario price, while the copy I have doesn't even have covers.

The issue itself has Spidey narrowly escape Ock in the first half of the issue, then come up with some way his webbing can jam the signals from Ock's brain to the tentacles, which causes them to go berserk, leading to Stacy's death (which explains why he doesn't just try that every time, having multiple super-strong metal tentacles flailing around wildly is dangerous!). There's also a brief section where Peter declines to attend a protest rally on campus about pollution, to the disgust of Randy Robertson and his friends, who decide Parker is just a self-interested tool.

The issue is no great shakes; I keep for the sentimental value as much as anything.

No comments: